1. struct branch build error

I was trying to build the struct branch but I ran into this error with backend.e. I couldn't find these constants anywhere in the include/ or source/ folders.

I am building on Windows 7 with MinGW/MSYS, if that helps. (This should work, right?)

C:\Users\Greg\Downloads\euphoria-0fb340a5577d\source\backend.e:153 
<0074>:: Errors resolving the following references: 
    'ST_MEM_NEXT' (backend.e:145) has not been declared. 
    'ST_MEM_STRUCT' (backend.e:146) has not been declared. 
    'ST_MEM_PARENT' (backend.e:147) has not been declared. 
    'ST_MEM_SIZE' (backend.e:149) has not been declared. 
    'ST_MEM_OFFSET' (backend.e:150) has not been declared. 
    'ST_MEM_ARRAY' (backend.e:151) has not been declared. 
    'ST_MEM_SIGNED' (backend.e:152) has not been declared. 
    'ST_MEM_POINTER' (backend.e:153) has not been declared. 

poke( addr + ST_MEM_POINTER, eentry[S_MEM_POINTER] ) 
                                                       ^ 

make[1]: *** [C:/Users/Greg/Downloads/euphoria-0fb340a5577d/source/build/bind-build/main-.c] Error 1 
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Greg/Downloads/euphoria-0fb340a5577d/source' 
make: *** [all] Error 2 

-Greg

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: struct branch build error

A Google search for ST_MEM_STRUCT showed this web page, apparently from Matt Lewis.

http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/annotate/59c162fc054b/include/euphoria/symstruct.e

Arthur

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: struct branch build error

ghaberek said...

I was trying to build the struct branch but I ran into this error with backend.e. I couldn't find these constants anywhere in the include/ or source/ folders.

I am building on Windows 7 with MinGW/MSYS, if that helps. (This should work, right?)

It sounds like either you're building from a different branch or don't have the configuration correct. As Arthur mentioned, the ST_MEM stuff is in include/euphoria/symstruct.e.

Matt

4. Re: struct branch build error

mattlewis said...

It sounds like either you're building from a different branch or don't have the configuration correct. As Arthur mentioned, the ST_MEM stuff is in include/euphoria/symstruct.e.

Maybe I am trying to build the wrong branch. I had gone here: 0fb340a5577d and clicked on "zip" to the left. So, I've scrapped that method for now.

Instead, I cloned the repository, switched to the struct branch, and tried to build that, but now I'm getting a different error. sad

$ hg clone http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria 
destination directory: euphoria 
requesting all changes 
adding changesets 
adding manifests 
adding file changes 
added 6128 changesets with 20622 changes to 1960 files (+15 heads) 
updating to branch default 
784 files updated, 0 files merged, 0 files removed, 0 files unresolved 

$ cd euphoria/source/ 

$ ./configure 
Writing configuration to ./config.gnu... 
Getting version string... 
VERSION=4.1.0 
Writing Makefile... 
Writing eu.cfg to C:/Users/Greg/Downloads/euphoria/source/build/eu.cfg... 

$ make 
[...snip...] 
/home/Greg/Downloads/euphoria/source/eui.rc -O coff -o C:/Users/Greg/Downloads/euphoria/source/build/eui.res 
Can't open 'ICON.ex'/home/Greg/Downloads/euphoria/source/eui.rc: line 8: 1: command not found 
make[3]: *** [C:/Users/Greg/Downloads/euphoria/source/build/eui.res] Error 127 
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/Greg/Downloads/euphoria/source' 
make[2]: *** [interpreter] Error 2 
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/Greg/Downloads/euphoria/source' 
make[1]: *** [interpreter] Error 2 
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Greg/Downloads/euphoria/source' 

-Greg

5. Re: struct branch build error

ghaberek said...

Instead, I cloned the repository, switched to the struct branch, and tried to build that, but now I'm getting a different error. sad

Hey! I just tried to build the 'default' branch and got the same error.

/c/Projects/eu_proj/HGProj/euphoria/source/eui.rc -O coff -o c:/Projects/eu_proj/HGProj/euphoria/source/build/eui.res 
Can't open 'ICON.ex'/c/Projects/eu_proj/HGProj/euphoria/source/eui.rc: line 8: 1: command not found 
make[3]: *** [c:/Projects/eu_proj/HGProj/euphoria/source/build/eui.res] Error 127 

6. Re: struct branch build error

ghaberek said...
mattlewis said...

Maybe I am trying to build the wrong branch. I had gone here: 0fb340a5577d and clicked on "zip" to the left. So, I've scrapped that method for now.

$ cd euphoria/source/ 

$ ./configure 
Writing configuration to ./config.gnu... 
Getting version string... 
VERSION=4.1.0 
Writing Makefile... 
Writing eu.cfg to C:/Users/Greg/Downloads/euphoria/source/build/eu.cfg... 

I think the problem is that you're trying to build from the source dir. For 4.1+, this was changed a few months ago to facilitate having multiple builds for different architectures and branches. Try making from the build directory.

Here was my original announcement.

Matt

7. Re: struct branch build error

mattlewis said...

I think the problem is that you're trying to build from the source dir. For 4.1+, this was changed a few months ago to facilitate having multiple builds for different architectures and branches. Try making from the build directory.

But you also said...

mattlewis also said...

The "old" way of configuring from the source directory should still work, though you'll still need to run make from the new build directory. This means that the eubins server will need to be updated.

Which is sort of confusing: does the "old" way still work if we "need to run make from the new build directory?"

I thought the "old" way was simply cd source && ./configure && make.

Alas, unless I've done something wrong, I got the same error with this new build method.

$ make clean 
$ cd ../../ 
$ mkdir euphoria-struct 
$ cd euphoria-struct/ 
$ ../euphoria/source/configure 
$ make 
[...snip...] 
Can't open 'ICON.ex'/home/Greg/Downloads/euphoria/source/eui.rc: line 8: 1: command not found 
make[3]: *** [C:/Users/Greg/Downloads/euphoria-struct/eui.res] Error 127 
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/Greg/Downloads/euphoria-struct' 
make[2]: *** [interpreter] Error 2 
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/Greg/Downloads/euphoria-struct' 
make[1]: *** [interpreter] Error 2 
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Greg/Downloads/euphoria-struct' 

-Greg

8. Re: struct branch build error

mattlewis said...

Doesn't seem that that is the problem ... or I totally don't get what you've said.

I did this ...

pwd --> /c/Projects/eu_proj/HGProj/euphoria/source 
cd build 
../configure 
make clean 
make 
and got this ...
/c/Projects/eu_proj/HGProj/euphoria/source/eui.rc -O coff -o c:/Projects/eu_proj/HGProj/euphoria/source/build/eui.res 
Can't open 'ICON.ex'/c/Projects/eu_proj/HGProj/euphoria/source/eui.rc: line 8: 1: command not found 
make[3]: *** [c:/Projects/eu_proj/HGProj/euphoria/source/build/eui.res] Error 127 
make[3]: Leaving directory `/c/Projects/eu_proj/HGProj/euphoria/source/build' 

9. Re: struct branch build error

DerekParnell said...

Doesn't seem that that is the problem ... or I totally don't get what you've said.

I did this ...

pwd --> /c/Projects/eu_proj/HGProj/euphoria/source 
cd build 
../configure 
make clean 
make 
and got this ...
make[3]: Leaving directory `/c/Projects/eu_proj/HGProj/euphoria/source/build' 

Hmm...for some reason, the resource compiler isn't getting set correctly. Inside of config.gnu, in your build directory, you should see a line like:

RC_SUFFIX=windres 

Matt

10. Re: struct branch build error

ghaberek said...
mattlewis said...

But you also said...

mattlewis also said...

The "old" way of configuring from the source directory should still work, though you'll still need to run make from the new build directory. This means that the eubins server will need to be updated.

Which is sort of confusing: does the "old" way still work if we "need to run make from the new build directory?"

I thought the "old" way was simply cd source && ./configure && make.

Sorry, I was trying to say that you could still run configure in the old way, but you'd still need to run make from your build directory.

ghaberek said...

Alas, unless I've done something wrong, I got the same error with this new build method.

Yes...for some reason the resource compiler isn't configured correctly for you or Derek.

Matt

11. Re: struct branch build error

mattlewis said...

Hmm...for some reason, the resource compiler isn't getting set correctly. Inside of config.gnu, in your build directory, you should see a line like:

RC_SUFFIX=windres 

It wasn't there. I think this line in 'configure' is wrong.

[ -n "$RC_SUFFIX" ] && echo "RC_SUFFIX=$RC" >> "$PREFIX"${CONFIG_FILE} 
maybe it should be ...
[ -n "$RC" ] && echo "RC_SUFFIX=$RC" >> "$PREFIX"${CONFIG_FILE} 

Also, is CC_PREFIX being set correctly as well?

Anyhow, the build process seems to be working now ... it hasn't finished yet but it has got further on.

12. Re: struct branch build error

DerekParnell said...
mattlewis said...

RC_SUFFIX=windres 

It wasn't there. I think this line in 'configure' is wrong.

[ -n "$RC_SUFFIX" ] && echo "RC_SUFFIX=$RC" >> "$PREFIX"${CONFIG_FILE} 
maybe it should be ...
[ -n "$RC" ] && echo "RC_SUFFIX=$RC" >> "$PREFIX"${CONFIG_FILE} 

Also, is CC_PREFIX being set correctly as well?

Anyhow, the build process seems to be working now ... it hasn't finished yet but it has got further on.

I hadn't seen that stuff before (and I hadn't pulled them down until just now). Yes, looks like the test is incorrect. CC_PREFIX looks OK to me, though.

Matt

13. Re: struct branch build error

That did the trick. We're getting closer, but not quite there...

C:\Users\Greg\Downloads\euphoria\source\compress.e:176 
<0158>:: Wrong number of arguments supplied for forward reference 
    C:\Users\Greg\Downloads\euphoria\source\compress.e (176): function int_to_bytes.  Expected 1, but found 2. 
<end-of-file> 
^ 

make[1]: *** [C:/Users/Greg/Downloads/euphoria-struct/eudis-build/main-.c] Error 
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Greg/Downloads/euphoria-struct' 

-Greg

14. Re: struct branch build error

Mea culpa. I added those lines into configure so we wouldn't have blank/unset vars in config.gnu.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu