1. posting code that might be updated a lot (or not)

What is the common practice for that? I don't see a way to edit pastey's.

If someone here has a multiple changes to lengthy code chunks, do they make a wiki page for it, or put it somewhere else (another site entirely) and link to it, or (other...).

At the moment, I have in mind my attempts at updating get.e. Assuming the last version I posted has not magically become 100% bug-free, I imagine I will run across other problems as I use it in my current project. I hate to chew up pastey after pastey with essentially the same file, but the file is quite long to post in the forum thread, even once.

Hmm. Does Creole support folding/hiding behind a button? Must go look...

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: posting code that might be updated a lot (or not)

For your own code, I think that pastey or including it inline with eucode tags is the correct method. Otherwise give some other editable link like a dropbox or something similar.

If you are working on Euphoria the language itself, then you will have to install Mercurial and work within the source code management program.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: posting code that might be updated a lot (or not)

This is a job for a revision control system: rcs, cvs, svn, hg.

You can clone the repository of EUPHORIA anonymously (svn). If you find a bug we ask you to create a test that demonstrates the bug. Add a test to tests/t_get.e, see in the manual the section "8.51 Unit Testing Framework". Then create a ticket and include a patch for the changes to the t_get.e. If the patch shows a disagreement with what it should do, certainly the ticket will be accepted into 4.0 and 4.1.

Use the testing facility to check your work as you make your fixes. Just call "eutest t_get.e" from the tests subdirectory of the checkout. The location of the repository is:

https://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria 

I think you can just do:

hg clone https://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria euphoria 

at the command line.

4. Re: posting code that might be updated a lot (or not)

OK, thanks; will try that when I get back to it.

5. Re: posting code that might be updated a lot (or not)

I strongly recommend Mercurial: The Definitive Guide. It doesn't require any previous knowledge of revision control (but that helps) and was very easy to read and follow. I managed to pick up a copy on the cheap when Borders was going under, along with several other great O'Reilly books.

-Greg

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu