1. Information about Phix

I have seen Phix mentioned in many posts, as a fork of Euphoria, and I am curious. The info about Phix which I gathered from the posts is very scarce, and I would like to know more. Unfortunately, I was not able to find Pete Lomax's website anywhere, nor any download link for the Phix source/binaries. Anyone can help?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Information about Phix

GreenEuphorian said...

I have seen Phix mentioned in many posts, as a fork of Euphoria, and I am curious. The info about Phix which I gathered from the posts is very scarce, and I would like to know more. Unfortunately, I was not able to find Pete Lomax's website anywhere, nor any download link for the Phix source/binaries. Anyone can help?

Hi

http://edita.is-great.org/

As i can't see what Operating System you use, Phix seems to be Windows only.

Andreas

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Information about Phix

andi49 said...
GreenEuphorian said...

Hi

Andreas

Which has a link to:

http://phix.isgreat.org/

which we cannot get to.

useless

4. Re: Information about Phix

andi49 said...

Andreas

Thanks. I could not find much information about Phix itself, not even in the Edita file that I downloaded. The Phix interpreter/compiler is there alright, but I could not find any specifically Phix-focused documentation, describing the project, which is what I was looking for.

Also, I got the impression that Phix is still at a very early developmental stage, and that maybe its development is stagnating. Of course, being a one-man enterprise, one may expect that. And my impressions may be wrong, of course.

It seems that, for the time being, I better stick to mainstream Euphoria.

Pete, if you are reading this, could you please provide an update about the Phix project, and some descriptive Phix-related information in addition to what you already said in the old posts? That would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

5. Re: Information about Phix

The version of Phix I downloaded some time ago is version 5.9 dated June,2010.

The author is still very active at this site, and perhaps he will respond.

6. Re: Information about Phix

useless_ said...
andi49 said...
GreenEuphorian said...

Hi

Andreas

Which has a link to:

which we cannot get to.

useless

Hi

try this one

http://phix.is-great.org/

Andreas

7. Re: Information about Phix

andi49 said...
useless_ said...
andi49 said...
GreenEuphorian said...

Hi

Andreas

Which has a link to:

which we cannot get to.

useless

Hi

try this one

http://phix.is-great.org/

Andreas

That works fine, thanks, Andreas. I wonder how Pete got that link wrong?

useless

8. Re: Information about Phix

Interesting stuff indeed. The project is active but, alas, Pete seems to be focusing only on programming, and neglecting the documentation! I wish there was some clear description of what he is doing, but there are only very technical remarks here and there. Perhaps it is because the project is not ready yet for the general public, but wouldn't it attract more people if there was more documentation?

Anyway, can someone confirm that Phix is meant to be Windows-only?

Or is there a Linux version on the roadmap perhaps?

9. Re: Information about Phix

eukat said...

He didn't. The webhost changed the link out from under him: http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/118023.wc

10. Re: Information about Phix

jimcbrown said...
eukat said...

He didn't. The webhost changed the link out from under him: http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/118023.wc

Oh, he didn't update the links since April. Ok. As long as everyone on earth knows to research the issue in these forum archives when they use his site.

useless

11. Re: Information about Phix

eukat said...
jimcbrown said...
eukat said...

Oh, he didn't update the links since April.

Yeah, not my problem though.

eukat said...

Ok. As long as everyone on earth knows to research the issue in these forum archives when they use his site.

But that seems to be virtually nobody...

Oh well. Glad it's not my problem.

12. Re: Information about Phix

Some of the features introduced by Phix are really neat. I wish they were adopted by Open Euphoria. I was wondering, would there be any licensing issues in importing some features form Phix?

13. Re: Information about Phix

GreenEuphorian said...

Some of the features introduced by Phix are really neat. I wish they were adopted by Open Euphoria. I was wondering, would there be any licensing issues in importing some features form Phix?

Phix is a very different beast, under the hood, than Open Euphoria. So in order to put any Phix features into Open Euphoria would probably require rewriting the implementation, which should avoid any licensing issues.

Matt

14. Re: Information about Phix

GreenEuphorian said...

Some of the features introduced by Phix are really neat.

For example ... ?

15. Re: Information about Phix

DerekParnell said...
GreenEuphorian said...

For example ... ?

One thing that stood out was native multithreading support that could take advantage of multiple cpus or cores.

16. Re: Information about Phix

jimcbrown said...
DerekParnell said...
GreenEuphorian said...

For example ... ?

One thing that stood out was native multithreading support that could take advantage of multiple cpus or cores.

Another nice thing it has: http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/114295.wc

17. Re: Information about Phix

jimcbrown said...
DerekParnell said...
GreenEuphorian said...

For example ... ?

I wasn't aware it supported that. There are definitely plans to do this for euphoria, but it's a pretty big change, and a lot of stuff that needs to be decided.

I didn't see any online documentation that mentioned this. Where did you find out about this?

Matt

18. Re: Information about Phix

GreenEuphorian said...

Ditto OOEU.

useless

19. Re: Information about Phix

mattlewis said...
jimcbrown said...
DerekParnell said...
GreenEuphorian said...

For example ... ?

I wasn't aware it supported that. There are definitely plans to do this for euphoria, but it's a pretty big change, and a lot of stuff that needs to be decided.

I didn't see any online documentation that mentioned this. Where did you find out about this?

Matt

From http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/117059.wc

20. Re: Information about Phix

I obviously missed a passage, but why did Pete break away in the first place? (I hope I am not stirring up a controversial issue with this question - if so, just ignore it). I am asking because I don't see much sense in developing an alternative Euphoria, and I would see it more logic to add those extra features to mainstream Euphoria rather than developing them separately. This would also avoid all licensing issues and simplify things.

21. Re: Information about Phix

GreenEuphorian said...

I obviously missed a passage, but why did Pete break away in the first place? (I hope I am not stirring up a controversial issue with this question - if so, just ignore it). I am asking because I don't see much sense in developing an alternative Euphoria, and I would see it more logic to add those extra features to mainstream Euphoria rather than developing them separately. This would also avoid all licensing issues and simplify things.

The whole reason there is a Phix, OOEU, Open Euphoria, Bach, and others is that RDS would not add the new features to Euphoria.

useless

22. Re: Information about Phix

useless_ said...

The whole reason there is a Phix, OOEU, Open Euphoria, Bach, and others is that RDS would not add the new features to Euphoria.

useless

RDS? That was years ago. Or perhaps you meant to say Open Euphoria ?!?

23. Re: Information about Phix

GreenEuphorian said...
useless_ said...

useless

No, all these alternative Euphorias cropped up starting back then. Every one i mentioned started (and some ended) before RDS made Eu open-source. You asked "why did Pete break away in the first place?", and the answer is : "RDS didn't include any of those improvements into Euphoria, and was never going to". The same with the others.

useless

24. Re: Information about Phix

useless_ said...
GreenEuphorian said...
useless_ said...

useless

No, all these alternative Euphorias cropped up starting back then. Every one i mentioned started (and some ended) before RDS made Eu open-source. You asked "why did Pete break away in the first place?", and the answer is : "RDS didn't include any of those improvements into Euphoria, and was never going to". The same with the others.

useless

So, what about now? Open Euphoria is an open-source community project, and it has been for some time. Could Pete's project (or part of it) not be merged with the main project? This was actually the gist of my original question: why two parallel projects? Pete is obviously a talented programmer, and he would be a valuable resource for the main OE project.

25. Re: Information about Phix

GreenEuphorian said...

So, what about now? Open Euphoria is an open-source community project, and it has been for some time. Could Pete's project (or part of it) not be merged with the main project? This was actually the gist of my original question: why two parallel projects? Pete is obviously a talented programmer, and he would be a valuable resource for the main OE project.

A literal merging of the source code is no longer possible as they have diverged too far. However, it may be possible to take the concepts implemented in one and re-implement them in the other. But it could also be that the design objectives of the two projects are mutually incompatible.

I'd like to know which aspects of Phix that you, or others, would like to see implemented in OpenEu. So far I've heard of two ...

• Multiple core support
  • Boolean tests in conditional expressions. eg. if Seq1 = Seq2 then ... This currently fails in OpenEu

As far I know, it is Pete's choice not to work on OpenEu project.
Forked into: Phix features to import into Open Euphoria

26. Re: Information about Phix

DerekParnell said...

The fine exact point of it being open source may have nothing to do with his choice. (It's not like he is making any money from Phix, especially as it's web presence is thru broken links that search engines cannot resolve.) The entire list of issues may boil down be that he'd haveto redo all of his work, in an alien environment, on different OSs, and be constantly overridden by the existing dev team of Open Euphoria. He'd haveto be a hell of a masochist, with a lot of time to spare, to do it.

useless

27. Re: Information about Phix

eukat said...
DerekParnell said...

The fine exact point of it being open source may have nothing to do with his choice.

I don't see where it was indicated otherwise (or by who).

eukat said...

The entire list of issues may boil down be that he'd haveto redo all of his work,

Agreed.

eukat said...

in an alien environment,

Agreed.

Well, it might not be that alien in a personal sense - Pete's probably familiar with GCC and friends at least - but I think what you meant is that OpenEuphoria is totally different from Phix's self-hosting environment.

eukat said...

on different OSs,

I disagree. He works on Windoze, I don't see why that'd have to change if he did move to OpenEuphoria.

eukat said...

and be constantly overridden by the existing dev team of Open Euphoria. He'd haveto be a hell of a masochist, with a lot of time to spare, to do it.

That's not what Pete said: http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/117074.wc

I think Jeremy's response to Pete then is still relevant here and now: http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/117085.wc

Anyways, I suspect the strongest component is Pete's available free time - if he doesn't even have time to fix links on his own websites, I can see how he'd be hard pressed to commit to OpenEuphoria as a major developer.

28. Re: Information about Phix

jimcbrown said...

Anyways, I suspect the strongest component is Pete's available free time - if he doesn't even have time to fix links on his own websites, I can see how he'd be hard pressed to commit to OpenEuphoria as a major developer.

Sorry, but I don't think it's very fair to make this assumption. It doesn't sound nice.

29. Re: Information about Phix

GreenEuphorian said...
jimcbrown said...

Sorry, but I don't think it's very fair to make this assumption. It doesn't sound nice.

Well, you are right. Actually, that wasn't the only reason though - I seem to recall that he'd mentioned his own lack of free time in the past, though I can't find the exact posts now.

You're right though. Pete is here on this forum right now (or at least as of today), so I'll let him speak for himself.

30. Re: Information about Phix

Hi there,

Most things have already been said, but just to clarify:

Phix was created before Eu went open source, and I have no intention of abandoning it. Having an alternative is no bad thing. There are no licencing issues with any Phix features being ported into any open source project. Kat made a fair point in that I probably worry far too much about compatibility with OpenEu. I fully agree with what jimcbrown said, finding free time is a bit of an issue for me.

Of course I would like Andorid/Linux/64bit versions of Phix but ... really gotta make the Windows32 version something special first. I have made significant strides towards native thread support this year but there is still plenty to do and no real point even offering a guess as to when that will be finished.

Few, if any, people actually use Phix apart from me, going by the number of bug reports. I use it for all my personal stuff, and for several things at work, such as stripping GUIDs from repackaged apps, sorting the output from Microsoft SQL server, and any form of (source) file comparision. In other words it is perfectly useable as-is (imnsho).

This is my latest wish/todo summary, sorted by order of importance:

Native threads 
    make builtins\ thread safe 
    ditto std\ replacement 
  Android 
    cross platform GUI (hmm) 
  Intellisense 
    embed Phix in Edita 
  Manual 
    fix that bug in I/O redirection 
    improved/more webinars 
  Proper register allocation 
    linear scan 
  multiple returns 
  dll creation 
  hash/dictionaries 
  Unicode support 
  64 bit/Lunix 
  com/oop 
  regular expressions 
Pete

31. Re: Information about Phix

Pete,

Did you know about that other Phix project?

http://phix-project.org/#

32. Re: Information about Phix

coconut said...

Pete,

You could always rename it to Phi (the Greek letter). The Phi programming language, doesn't it sound cute?

33. Re: Information about Phix

GreenEuphorian said...
coconut said...

Pete,

You could always rename it to Phi (the Greek letter). The Phi programming language, doesn't it sound cute?

Or just P. (You know, the old joke about B, C, P, L....)

34. Re: Information about Phix

jimcbrown said...
GreenEuphorian said...
coconut said...

Pete,

Or just P. (You know, the old joke about B, C, P, L....)

Phi definitely sounds more classy!

35. Re: Information about Phix

GreenEuphorian said...

That sounds good to me. Would it be pronounced fee, as in no phi financing and Phiphi (the pet dog of Maggie and Jiggs)? Or would it be pronounced fie, as in hi phi and phire at will? My math teachers and the near campus social clubs could never agree.

36. Re: Information about Phix

Hello Pete,

AVG antivirus indicates that official.exe contains virus Win32/Heur.

Regards

Jean-Marc

37. Re: Information about Phix

jmduro said...

Hello Pete,

AVG antivirus indicates that official.exe contains virus Win32/Heur.

Regards

Jean-Marc

Yes. This 18-month-old scan shows the same but a clean bill of health from 34 out of 37 scanners. My conclusion is that the 3 are false positives.

Pete

Edit: and if you click on that http://v.virscan.org/Win32/Heur.html link, AVG claims 67685 submitted files have that "problem" and it is still finding around 3 per hour... I suppose what I c/should do is reproduce that scan here, on a copy of the file in some test directory, and write a little proggy to blat it with blocks of binary zeroes, to find out exactly which bit of binary is causing it.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu