1. Finding Win32Lib

Forked from Re: Which windows version?

Lnettnay said...

Hi EUWX,

If you go to the Sourceforge page for Euphoria there is a section of recommended projects about 1/3 of the way down on the right side of the page which has a link for win32 library.

Lonny

I don't think that is a proper way for anybody to find Win32Lib.
At first, I went directly to Sourceforge and did a search for Win32lib - blank
I looked at the Home page of Euphoria for a URL, and I could not find it.
Thanks for pointing out that it is hiding in Sourceforge as Win32libex

BTW, the version is 2 years old, and its validity under Euphoria 4.0.5 and Windows 7 is not certain. Some time ago, I tried it, and as I said before, it is an excellent library, but I have my concerns that it is not well maintained, because the main developer for it is no longer with Euphoria.

The developers, I am sure, have their own reasons for keeping the GUI, and the main interpreter separate for eternity. I think though, that in this day and age, GUI should be an integral part of a developmental language such as Euphoria.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Finding Win32Lib

TO download win32lib
By selecting "The archive" on Misc Menu ( on the right of this page )
Searching the archive for win32lib will give you this result
http://rapideuphoria.com/cgi-bin/asearch.exu?dos=on&win=on&lnx=on&gen=on&keywords=win32lib
Click on very top win32lib entry
That will take to the location to down load the WIN32LIB

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Finding Win32Lib

BRyan said...

TO download win32lib

That's exactly what it should not be.
If win32lib is the current GUI or one of the main GUIs, it should not be accessible only through Archive. It should be alongside euphoria 4.0.5, together with wxEuphoria.

4. Re: Finding Win32Lib

EUWX said...
BRyan said...

TO download win32lib

That's exactly what it should not be.
If win32lib is the current GUI or one of the main GUIs, it should not be accessible only through Archive. It should be alongside euphoria 4.0.5, together with wxEuphoria.

I'm not so sure that that would be a good idea.

Euphoria is a general purpose programming language and not a development environment. This implies that third party libraries, written in Euphoria, that meet application needs of developers can have, and arguable should have, independent development from the Euphoria Language itself.

When talking about GUIs, it would be a good thing that have a choice of competing GUI libraries so that application developers can best meet their needs as they see fit. Having such libraries dependant on the language development team would make more work for that team and might be seen as a bias issue as well.

5. Re: Finding Win32Lib

EUWX said...

BTW, the version is 2 years old, and its validity under Euphoria 4.0.5 and Windows 7 is not certain.

Rest assured, the library works fine with Euphoria 4.0.5 and Windows 7. I haven't tried Windows 8 yet.

EUWX said...

Some time ago, I tried it, and as I said before, it is an excellent library, but I have my concerns that it is not well maintained, because the main developer for it is no longer with Euphoria.

I am the primary developer for the win32lib and I have not left Euphoria. David Cuny started the library and I took over maintenance etc... some years ago.

6. Re: Finding Win32Lib

DerekParnell said...
EUWX said...

BTW, the version is 2 years old, and its validity under Euphoria 4.0.5 and Windows 7 is not certain.

Rest assured, the library works fine with Euphoria 4.0.5 and Windows 7. I haven't tried Windows 8 yet.

I stand corrected. I did not realise that the lack of a newer version in 2 years shows how mature and perfect the product is, notwithstanding the changes in Microsoft Windows.
It is a pity that there is not much new releases in the archive using win32lib.

7. Re: Finding Win32Lib

EUWX said...

I did not realise that the lack of a newer version in 2 years shows how mature and perfect the product is, notwithstanding the changes in Microsoft Windows.

It is a pity that there is not much new releases in the archive using win32lib.

While struggling to ignore the dripping sarcasm, I agree it is a pity.

As you and I both know all too well, the library is far from perfect, and if there were more applications using it, I'm sure many of its shortcomings and flaws would be exposed, thus give us opportunities to improve it.

8. Re: Finding Win32Lib

DerekParnell said...

As you and I both know all too well, the library is far from perfect,

Sorry - I don't know. I presumed it (win32lib) was nearly dead... you corrected me by saying it works very well under windows 7.
I don't use it, so I have no way of knowing that "the library is far from perfect", except to say that your two statements are somewhat contradictory.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu