1. Weird syntax errors?

I'm running Eu 4.0.4 on a Windows 7 machine, and have recently run into some most odd looking syntax error reports. Doubtless my fault, but I cannot see why.

Under ED, if I write and then run

sequence work = {} 
atom flags = 32768 
object hed 

work = and_bits(14, flags)w 

hed = 1 

including the extra character mis-typed at the end of the fourth line, the run fails with an error 'attempt to redefine hed'

Even more peculiar: if I comment out the object declaration, in a feeble attempt to remove the source of the re-declaration

--object hed 

then the error is quite different - I end up with TWO 'Errors resolving the following references', both complaining about 'w', but one of them on line 5 (the mis-typed character), and one of them on line 7 - where the parser seems to be hallucinating the term again.
Anyone tell me what I am doing wrong (other than bad typing?)

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Weird syntax errors?

boater said...

I'm running Eu 4.0.4 on a Windows 7 machine, and have recently run into some most odd looking syntax error reports. Doubtless my fault, but I cannot see why.

Anyone tell me what I am doing wrong (other than bad typing?)

The parser thinks that you are trying to define a variable called 'hed' that is a user-defined-type called 'w'.

To the parser, your code looks like ...

sequence work = {} 
atom flags = 32768 
object hed 

work = and_bits(14, flags) 

w hed = 1 

Which means that it thinks you are declaring a variable because the statement begins with a word that is not a keyword, and so could be a user defined type.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Weird syntax errors?

Well that all seems very sensible, now you explain it.

But I still don't see why (if I remove the original definition of 'hed') the parser ends up believing that 'w' occurs on TWO lines??

4. Re: Weird syntax errors?

boater said...

Well that all seems very sensible, now you explain it.

But I still don't see why (if I remove the original definition of 'hed') the parser ends up believing that 'w' occurs on TWO lines??

That looks like a parser quirk...or maybe a bug. Keeping track of the line to point out can be difficult for stuff like this. I suspect that it first sees w on 23, and then it's actually used (as a user defined type name) on 25 in the apparent declaration of hed.

Matt

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu