1. Euphoria 4.0.5 installation Errors when installing from source on Linux Mint 13 (Maya) 64 bit

Prior to trying to install and compile 64 bit Eu 4.0.5 from source I installed and then completely removed this package after testing it very briefly: euphoria_4.0.5_amd64.deb 2012-10-19 11.5 MB - unless I am mistaken, this installation still uses 32 binaries? Is this correct?

After executing a complete removal,I downloaded this file a few minutes ago: euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5-src.tar.gz 2012-10-19 5.0 MB

And then tried to install it on my 64 bit Linux Linux Mint 13 (Maya) system:

ken@ken-desktop ~/progs/euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5/source $ su 
Password:  
ken-desktop source # ./configure 
Configuring to build for target: Linux / default platform 
Writing eu.cfg to /home/ken/progs/euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5/source/build/eu.cfg 
ken-desktop source # make 
make interpreter translator library debug-library backend 
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ken/progs/euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5/source' 
make /home/ken/progs/euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5/source/build/eui OBJDIR=intobj EBSD= CONFIG=config.gnu EDEBUG= EPROFILE= 
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/ken/progs/euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5/source' 
gcc -DELINUX  -m32  -c -fsigned-char  -ffast-math  -fomit-frame-pointer  -I../ -I../../include/  -DARCH=ix86  /home/ken/progs/euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5/source/build/intobj/0rror.c -I/usr/share/euphoria -o/home/ken/progs/euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5/source/build/intobj/0rror.o 
In file included from /usr/include/stdio.h:28:0, 
                 from ../include/euphoria.h:12, 
                 from /home/ken/progs/euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5/source/build/intobj/0rror.c:2: 
/usr/include/features.h:324:26: fatal error: bits/predefs.h: No such file or directory 
compilation terminated. 
make[2]: *** [/home/ken/progs/euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5/source/build/intobj/0rror.o] Error 1 
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ken/progs/euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5/source' 
make[1]: *** [interpreter] Error 2 
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ken/progs/euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5/source' 
make: *** [all] Error 2 

Any insight into what I am doing wrong will be appreciated.

Thanks, Ken

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Euphoria 4.0.5 installation Errors when installing from source on Linux Mint 13 (Maya) 64 bit

K_D_R said...

Prior to trying to install and compile 64 bit Eu 4.0.5 from source I installed and then completely removed this package after testing it very briefly: euphoria_4.0.5_amd64.deb 2012-10-19 11.5 MB - unless I am mistaken, this installation still uses 32 binaries? Is this correct?

Yes. 4.0.5 is 32bit only. I'll let Matt explain why he releases an amd64 package that only has 32bit binaries.

K_D_R said...

After executing a complete removal,I downloaded this file a few minutes ago: euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5-src.tar.gz 2012-10-19 5.0 MB

And then tried to install it on my 64 bit Linux Linux Mint 13 (Maya) system:

ken@ken-desktop ~/progs/euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5/source $ su 
Password:  
ken-desktop source # ./configure 
Configuring to build for target: Linux / default platform 
Writing eu.cfg to /home/ken/progs/euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5/source/build/eu.cfg 
ken-desktop source # make 
make interpreter translator library debug-library backend 
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ken/progs/euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5/source' 
make /home/ken/progs/euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5/source/build/eui OBJDIR=intobj EBSD= CONFIG=config.gnu EDEBUG= EPROFILE= 
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/ken/progs/euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5/source' 
gcc -DELINUX  -m32  -c -fsigned-char  -ffast-math  -fomit-frame-pointer  -I../ -I../../include/  -DARCH=ix86  /home/ken/progs/euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5/source/build/intobj/0rror.c -I/usr/share/euphoria -o/home/ken/progs/euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5/source/build/intobj/0rror.o 
In file included from /usr/include/stdio.h:28:0, 
                 from ../include/euphoria.h:12, 
                 from /home/ken/progs/euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5/source/build/intobj/0rror.c:2: 
/usr/include/features.h:324:26: fatal error: bits/predefs.h: No such file or directory 
compilation terminated. 
make[2]: *** [/home/ken/progs/euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5/source/build/intobj/0rror.o] Error 1 
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ken/progs/euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5/source' 
make[1]: *** [interpreter] Error 2 
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ken/progs/euphoria-LINUX-4.0.5/source' 
make: *** [all] Error 2 

Any insight into what I am doing wrong will be appreciated.

Thanks, Ken

Your stdio.h doesn't work. You're missing bits/predefs.h - that sounds like a distro issue.

I should point out here, the binaries that you are building are still 32bit (notice the -m32 option to gcc). Building 64bit binaries from the 4.0.5 source isn't supported.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Euphoria 4.0.5 installation Errors when installing from source on Linux Mint 13 (Maya) 64 bit

jimcbrown said...

Yes. 4.0.5 is 32bit only. I'll let Matt explain why he releases an amd64 package that only has 32bit binaries.

Basically, it allows people running a 64-bit OS to install euphoria binaries. 4.1 will have actual 64-bit stuff.

Matt

4. Re: Euphoria 4.0.5 installation Errors when installing from source on Linux Mint 13 (Maya) 64 bit

mattlewis said...
jimcbrown said...

Basically, it allows people running a 64-bit OS to install euphoria binaries.

But why can't they just install the 32-bit package? Does the 64bit package include a multiarch setup (32bit glibc and so on) to allow the binaries to run on an otherwise "pure" 64bit setup?

If not, how is this any different from installing the 32bit package?

(I'm used to rpms, where you can normally - and easily - install both the i386 (designed for pure 32bit systems) and amd64 packages on a 64bit system without any trouble.)

5. Re: Euphoria 4.0.5 installation Errors when installing from source on Linux Mint 13 (Maya) 64 bit

jimcbrown said...
mattlewis said...
jimcbrown said...

Basically, it allows people running a 64-bit OS to install euphoria binaries.

But why can't they just install the 32-bit package? Does the 64bit package include a multiarch setup (32bit glibc and so on) to allow the binaries to run on an otherwise "pure" 64bit setup?

If not, how is this any different from installing the 32bit package?

(I'm used to rpms, where you can normally - and easily - install both the i386 (designed for pure 32bit systems) and amd64 packages on a 64bit system without any trouble.)

It probably has to do with my lack of knowledge. When I tried to install an i386 package on my amd64 based system, dpkg complained to me. The amd64 package probably should have the multi-arch dependecy stuff in there. At the very least, I think the dependencies do call for the 32-bit libc, etc.

I think that the way a distro would do this would be to have your normal 64-bit packages, plus i386 packages where the package name gets a suffix of i386 to distinguish everything. Since these are just one-off packages, I think it's easier to just have each one be explicit. And they both just install to /usr/bin and Co. There's no way to have both packages installed on the same system (obviously not needed for 4.0.5, but maybe desireable in the future).

I picked up knowledge by trial and error and attempting to build the packages. I'm happy to take suggestions on improving the packages. You can find it all in the source tree: /packaging/debian to see where the packaging process is done.

Matt

6. Re: Euphoria 4.0.5 installation Errors when installing from source on Linux Mint 13 (Maya) 64 bit

I have never been able to get Euphoria to build on Ubuntu. I've always used packages. Hopefully this might help you.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1877944

Basically you just need to:

sudo apt-get install libc6-dev-i386

7. Re: Euphoria 4.0.5 installation Errors when installing from source on Linux Mint 13 (Maya) 64 bit

gharris said...

I have never been able to get Euphoria to build on Ubuntu. I've always used packages. Hopefully this might help you.

Let me see if I understand the problem now: Euphoria 4.0.5 fails to install on my AMD64 bit computer running Linux Mint 13 (Maya) 64-bit because Euphoria 4.0.5 lacks 64 bit suppport. Installing the 36 bit support files (libc6-dev-i386##) will likely enable me to build 32 bit Euphoria 4.0.5 on my 64 bit system. Right?

8. Re: Euphoria 4.0.5 installation Errors when installing from source on Linux Mint 13 (Maya) 64 bit

K_D_R said...
gharris said...

Let me see if I understand the problem now: Euphoria 4.0.5 fails to install on my AMD64 bit computer running Linux Mint 13 (Maya) 64-bit because Euphoria 4.0.5 lacks 64 bit suppport. Installing the 36 bit support files (libc6-dev-i386##) will likely enable me to build 32 bit Euphoria 4.0.5 on my 64 bit system. Right?

Yes. Actually, what you probably want to install is the multiarch-support package.

Matt

9. Re: Euphoria 4.0.5 installation Errors when installing from source on Linux Mint 13 (Maya) 64 bit

Here is the file info on the eui command. This is installed on Ubuntu 64 bit 12.04

file /usr/bin/eui

/usr/bin/eui: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.24, BuildID[sha1]=0xdc7f515f78f3714bd7f77c5500cd8ae65f70c2c0, stripped

As you can see, it is a 32 bit executable not 64 bit. That's why you need the i386 package.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu