1. Euphoria Books

Euphoria lacks good books. Please concentrate on this if you really want to popularise Euphoria. From good books I mean like- "A byte of Python" or "Learn Python the hard way". I have read Euphoric Mysteries and A beginners tutorial to Euphoria a little but they dont hold my interest for long and I moved to Python. I still want to learn Euphoria but by reading "A byte of Euphoria" or "Learn Euphoria the hard way". Please someone wrote more books on Euphoria.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Euphoria Books

Euphoric_Kid said...

Euphoria lacks good books. Please concentrate on this if you really want to popularise Euphoria. From good books I mean like- "A byte of Python" or "Learn Python the hard way". I have read Euphoric Mysteries and A beginners tutorial to Euphoria a little but they dont hold my interest for long and I moved to Python. I still want to learn Euphoria but by reading "A byte of Euphoria" or "Learn Euphoria the hard way". Please someone wrote more books on Euphoria.

I'd also like to see some more books on Euphoria myself. I agree with you, that we need more books on euphoria. I do have some plans on writing some euphoria books. I'd like to write one that focuses on game programming. However, I still need to work on my coding skills, before I write any book on programming. Perhaps this thread will get more interested in writing a book on Euphoria. A really good idea would be to make a Euphoria bible book, like the C bible. Something that covers the entire language of euphoria and maybe win32lib and wxepuhoria.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Euphoria Books

Writing a book about programming takes a lot of time. I've tried to lay down some basics at my web site, UsingEuphoria. See "Jubilation" and "GUIphoria." They're old, but they should still be somewhat relevant. Let me know what else you want to know.

Update: The webring seems to be hijacking my page on first visit. If you don't land there, try again.

4. Re: Euphoria Books

euphoric said...

Writing a book about programming takes a lot of time. I've tried to lay down some basics at my web site, UsingEuphoria. See "Jubilation" and "GUIphoria." They're old, but they should still be somewhat relevant. Let me know what else you want to know.

Update: The webring seems to be hijacking my page on first visit. If you don't land there, try again.

Even if it does take a long time, I am sure there are some out there that have that time to write a book on Euphoria. I'd write a book on Euphoria, but I need some more practice on my coding skills.

5. Re: Euphoria Books

@LoneEverGreenRanger

I'd probably say if you want to write a book, go for it - the coding skills will come later. Why don't you just rewrite the python book (replacing the python bits with euphoria first), and being aware of the 1001 copyright issues that go with that statement!

Chris

PS, I tried writing a book once too - here's the first page

Title - TO BE DECIDED 

It 

6. Re: Euphoria Books

ChrisB said...

@LoneEverGreenRanger

I'd probably say if you want to write a book, go for it - the coding skills will come later. Why don't you just rewrite the python book (replacing the python bits with euphoria first), and being aware of the 1001 copyright issues that go with that statement!

Chris

PS, I tried writing a book once too - here's the first page

Title - TO BE DECIDED 

It 

LOL. I can relate.

I did try to rewrite that one open source programming book for Euphoria, but it delved into concepts not easily translated to Euphoria from [generic language]. getlost Maybe someday, after I win the lottery and have all the free time in the world. smile

(See the "Language Agnostic" section here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/194812/list-of-freely-available-programming-books)

7. Re: Euphoria Books

Euphoric_Kid said...

Euphoria lacks good books.

Yes it does. It also lacks people with the time and/or energy and/or skills to write a complete book by themselves. So, what about the idea of collaborating on creating a good book for Euphoria? The Google Docs application seems to allow easy and comprehensive collaboration functionality. I have started a book outline that some people might like to help flesh out with great content.

The wiki could be used but it is a bit too open for this type of focused task.

Let me know if you'd like to help out. The different roles needed include writers, editors, and reviewers.

8. Re: Euphoria Books

Hi

I'd be up for that, in my limited capacity.

Chris

9. Re: Euphoria Books

DerekParnell said...

Let me know if you'd like to help out. The different roles needed include writers, editors, and reviewers.

I can help out.

10. Re: Euphoria Books

euphoric said...
DerekParnell said...

I can help out.

I have started working on a site that will host tutorials based on Euphoria.

11. Re: Euphoria Books

euphoric said...

Cool site. I wish I knew this was around while I was learning it. Curious though... I added XRC support over two years ago, and you just found it now?

12. Re: Euphoria Books

mwsgris said...

I added XRC support over two years ago, and you just found it now?

You added XRC support 2+ years ago?! Yes, I must've missed it. You added it to wxEuphoria? I thought Matt enabled that.

Regardless, I'm glad I found it finally! smile

13. Re: Euphoria Books

euphoric said...
mwsgris said...

You added XRC support 2+ years ago?! Yes, I must've missed it. You added it to wxEuphoria? I thought Matt enabled that.

Nope. It was Greg. smile

Matt

14. Re: Euphoria Books

mattlewis said...
euphoric said...
mwsgris said...

Nope. It was Greg. smile

Matt

This whole problem of needing a good book, or guide, or comprehensive tutorial, whatever it may be... is quite the dilemma. For me, it falls into the list of my "if I only had enough time" projects: I know Euphoria, Win32Lib, and wxEuphoria inside-and-out, I've got a knack for writing and grammar, and I love telling people what to do err... helping people learn new things.

Euphoria may move along at a slower pace than other languages, but I'm confident that as we continue, we'll get there, to "that point".

And maybe one day I'll sit down and write that book...

-Greg

15. Re: Euphoria Books

mattlewis said...
euphoric said...
mwsgris said...

Nope. It was Greg. smile

Matt

Please check the file history of wxXmlResource.cpp.

16. Re: Euphoria Books

mwsgris said...
mattlewis said...
euphoric said...
mwsgris said...

Nope. It was Greg. smile

D'oh! You're right. Sorry about that.

changeset:   201:3906864bcda9 
user:        mwsgris 
date:        Tue May 20 14:56:13 2008 +0000 
summary:     Wrapped wxCaret. Added wxAboutBox and XRC support. 

Matt

17. Re: Euphoria Books

mattlewis said...
mwsgris said...
mattlewis said...
euphoric said...
mwsgris said...

Nope. It was Greg. smile

Matt

No problem :) Wow, it's been over three years? btw I do not have much time these days for development, but if you need any testing on a mac let me know.

18. Re: Euphoria Books

mwsgris said...
mattlewis said...

Matt

No problem :) Wow, it's been over three years? btw I do not have much time these days for development, but if you need any testing on a mac let me know.

I'll concede XRC, but I wrapped wxCaret first. blink

r288 | mwsgris | 2008-05-20 10:56:13 -0400 (Tue, 20 May 2008) | 1 line 

Wrapped wxCaret. Added wxAboutBox and XRC support. 

r286 | ghaberek | 2008-05-08 10:21:44 -0400 (Thu, 08 May 2008) | 1 line 

Added wxCaret routines 

-Greg

19. Re: Euphoria Books

ghaberek said...
mwsgris said...
mattlewis said...

Matt

I'll concede XRC, but I wrapped wxCaret first. blink

r288 | mwsgris | 2008-05-20 10:56:13 -0400 (Tue, 20 May 2008) | 1 line 

Wrapped wxCaret. Added wxAboutBox and XRC support. 

r286 | ghaberek | 2008-05-08 10:21:44 -0400 (Thu, 08 May 2008) | 1 line 

Added wxCaret routines 

-Greg

LOL Okay, we're even. Whatever became of that editor you were working on?

20. Re: Euphoria Books

mwsgris said...

LOL Okay, we're even. Whatever became of that editor you were working on?

I tried writing my own Syntax control in both wxEuphoria and wxWidgets (pure C++), and neither came out to my satisfaction. Then I was hoping to get wxScintilla wrapped as an add-on library to wxEuphoria, but that proved quite overwhelming (although I was finally successful in building an add-on library to wxEuphoria). Recently, Matt modified Don Phillips' Syntax control that is used in the Win32Lib IDE for his own wxIDE, so I've considered using that as well. But now we're working on building wxEuphoria with wxWidgets 2.9, I think I'll finally get wxScintilla/wxSTC wrapped now that it's part of the main library. I'm also hashing out the details for something more than a simple editor. grin

-Greg

21. Re: Euphoria Books

What Euphoria needs is a cook-book. It is easy enough to learn the basics but after that you need a large number of examples of how to do things. Once people start cobbling together code and getting things done then the rest will follow. All it needs is a wiki-style page with an index. People could add to it and comment at their leisure.

22. Re: Euphoria Books

xnfec said...

... All it needs is a wiki-style page with an index. People could add to it and comment at their leisure.

Like this ?

23. Re: Euphoria Books

maybe more like this: http://access.mvps.org/access/

or like this:

http://www.rebol.net/cookbook/

24. Re: Euphoria Books

Actually, I found this:

http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:Euphoria

which is very good. A bit heavy on the algorithms perhaps and not quite what I would want in a cookbook - more how to do ftp in euphoria, or how to scrape data from a web page - but useful nonetheless.

25. Re: Euphoria Books

xnfec said...

What is the difference between those pages and the link I supplied? If it is just content then the Euphoria page is a wiki so you or anyone else can update it with better content.

26. Re: Euphoria Books

It is not just content. The rosetta page has a lot of good things but they are narrow in scope. The rebol page has a very wide range of examples. I was wondering if Euphoria had a similar range of applications and if they might be profitably collected over a period in one place so that people could use them to build with and thus encourage the use of Euphoria.

I've only just started looking at it again, though I've installed it it several times over the years. Unfortunately I'm a bit of a cut and paste programmer and a bit phobic about typing code from scratch. So I was looking for things I might use.

27. Re: Euphoria Books

xnfec said...

It is not just content. The rosetta page has a lot of good things but they are narrow in scope. The rebol page has a very wide range of examples. I was wondering if Euphoria had a similar range of applications and if they might be profitably collected over a period in one place so that people could use them to build with and thus encourage the use of Euphoria.

I've only just started looking at it again, though I've installed it it several times over the years. Unfortunately I'm a bit of a cut and paste programmer and a bit phobic about typing code from scratch. So I was looking for things I might use.

Have you looked at the Archive that RDS maintains?

Matt

28. Re: Euphoria Books

that might do the trick.

thanks

29. Re: Euphoria Books

Here is another tutorial site

[http://www.tutorialspoint.com/euphoria/index.htm]

Search

Quick Links