1. Build WIN 64 Binaries on linux?

Hi, 

When trying to build Win64 i get this error  
make[2]: i586-mingw32msvcgcc: Command not found 

Is there a problem with command line parsing in the binaries i use. 

eubin-2011-10-28-bdfc91ed15da.zip 
eubin-2011-06-29-3739d931e005.tar.gz 

./configure --build ../mw --eubin ~/euphoria/bin64 --plat WINDOWS --cc-prefix i586-mingw32msvc 

Thanks for any hint. 

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Build WIN 64 Binaries on linux?

So, do you actually have a cross compiler called i586-mingw32msvcgcc? I'm guessing you have one called 'i586-mingw32msvc-gcc' (note the extra dash) and you will have to specify the prefix with the dash in order for Makefile to find it.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Build WIN 64 Binaries on linux?

Thomas said...

./configure --build ../mw --eubin ~/euphoria/bin64 --plat WINDOWS --cc-prefix i586-mingw32msvc 

As Shawn mentioned, you actually have to specify the dash at the end of the prefix. That's probably the wrong way to do it, but when I set it up that way, it seemed more generic.

With that compiler, you're going to be compiling to a 32-bit target. The 64-bit cross compiler probably uses something more like x86_64-w64-mingw32 as its prefix.

A 64-bit version of euphoria needs a 4.1 interpreter as its "eubin" in order to translate properly. The 32-bit version of 4.1 will work, but if you use a 4.0 interpreter, it will appear to build, but it will crash. You should be able to build a 4.1 32-bit binary using a 4.0.3 interpreter. Also, you'll want to use a native binary as your eubin (so, Linux, in this case).

Matt

4. Re: Build WIN 64 Binaries on linux?

mattlewis said...
Thomas said...

As Shawn mentioned, you actually have to specify the dash at the end of the prefix. That's probably the wrong way to do it, but when I set it up that way, it seemed more generic.

With that compiler, you're going to be compiling to a 32-bit target. The 64-bit cross compiler probably uses something more like x86_64-w64-mingw32 as its prefix.

A 64-bit version of euphoria needs a 4.1 interpreter as its "eubin" in order to translate properly. The 32-bit version of 4.1 will work, but if you use a 4.0 interpreter, it will appear to build, but it will crash. You should be able to build a 4.1 32-bit binary using a 4.0.3 interpreter. Also, you'll want to use a native binary as your eubin (so, Linux, in this case).

Matt

Sorry your advice did not change anything.  
My eubin/eui 
Euphoria Interpreter v4.1.0 development 
   64-bit Linux, Using System Memory 
   Revision Date: 2011-06-30 16:06:49, Id: 5038:3739d931e005 

And  
./configure --build ../mw --eubin ~/euphoria/bin64 --plat WINDOWS --cc-prefix amd64-mingw32msvc- 

The error: 
amd64-mingw32msvc-gcc: Command not found 

5. Re: Build WIN 64 Binaries on linux?

Thomas said...

Sorry your advice did not change anything.

The error:

amd64-mingw32msvc-gcc: Command not found 

That sounds like you do not have the 64-bit cross compiler installed. You should have that installed into /usr/bin, and you will probably have similar directories off of /usr which hold all of the includes and libraries. For example, on my machine, I have:

$ which x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc 
/usr/bin/x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc 

$ ls /usr/*mingw* 
/usr/i686-w64-mingw32: 
include  lib 

/usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32: 
bin  include  lib  share 

Additionally, I posted a Win64 eubin that I just cross compiled.

Matt

6. Re: Build WIN 64 Binaries on linux?

mattlewis said...

Additionally, I posted a Win64 eubin that I just cross compiled.

OK, Thank you for your help, i do not know much about linux. I have done some cross compiling in the past 32bit with success.

Do i have to build the 64 bit cross compiler myself?

I do not want to venture that.

7. Re: Build WIN 64 Binaries on linux?

Thomas said...

OK, Thank you for your help, i do not know much about linux. I have done some cross compiling in the past 32bit with success.

I suppose you could build it yourself. Ideally, your distro has it in your package management system. On Ubuntu, it's called mingw-w64. This actually installs both the 64 and 32 bit tools for me. You can also get MinGW64 for Windows.

Matt

8. Re: Build WIN 64 Binaries on linux?

mattlewis said...
Thomas said...

I suppose you could build it yourself. Ideally, your distro has it in your package management system. On Ubuntu, it's called mingw-w64. This actually installs both the 64 and 32 bit tools for me. You can also get MinGW64 for Windows.

Matt

I have a fresh install of debian 6.0 64 bit and i looked at the pkg repo whith the search term  "Mingw and cross compiler" and installed the recomended packages. 

Either i am stupid or there is no 64 bit cross compiler. But i do lack the motivation to investigate further. 
Again thank you for your valuable help and the provided binaries. 

9. Re: Build WIN 64 Binaries on linux?

Thomas said...
mattlewis said...
Thomas said...

Matt

I have a fresh install of debian 6.0 64 bit and i looked at the pkg repo whith the search term  "Mingw and cross compiler" and installed the recomended packages. 

Either i am stupid or there is no 64 bit cross compiler. But i do lack the motivation to investigate further. 
Again thank you for your valuable help and the provided binaries. 

Aside from the normal gcc-mingw32 package on debian (which contains the 64bit amd64-gcc cross compiler) you also need to install the mingw64 package which contains certain essential files that you won't be able to compile without.

Debian installs the compiler into /usr/amd64-mingw32msvc/bin by default, but I'm not clear on whether or not that's added to the system-wide PATH. You might need a line like this to be able to find it:

export PATH="/usr/amd64-mingw32msvc/bin:$PATH" 

Some pretty good, Debian specific instructions are provided here: http://tinc-vpn.org/examples/cross-compiling-64-bit-windows-binary/

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu