1. Lua and Euphoria

Hi

I am new here. I am getting acquainted with Euphoria and I have a couple of questions to ask.

Could someone please give me an idea of how Euphoria compares to other scripting languages, especially Lua?

Also, what are the really strong points of Euphoria that may make one prefer Euphoria to other languages, and in what cases/areas would Euphoria really shine?

I thank you all in advance.

Green

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Lua and Euphoria

GreenEuphorian said...

Hi

I am new here. I am getting acquainted with Euphoria and I have a couple of questions to ask.

Could someone please give me an idea of how Euphoria compares to other scripting languages, especially Lua?

Also, what are the really strong points of Euphoria that may make one prefer Euphoria to other languages, and in what cases/areas would Euphoria really shine?

I thank you all in advance.

Green

fast development fast interpreter can compile programs to exe open source You can write your own scripting languages in Euphoria

fast development

fast interpreter

can compile programs to exe

open source

You can write your own scripting languages in Euphoria

http://rapideuphoria.com/cgi-bin/asearch.exu?dos=on&win=on&lnx=on&gen=on&keywords=script

Using LUA with Euphoria programs here

http://rapideuphoria.com/cgi-bin/asearch.exu?dos=on&win=on&lnx=on&gen=on&keywords=Lua

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Lua and Euphoria

Selgor here..

Have a read of forum posts. Why learn Euphoria and What do you use Euphoria for.

IMH.

Cheers Selgor..

4. Re: Lua and Euphoria

I could not find anything much specific about Lua in the forum. Almost nothing. The reason I was interested in a comparison of Euphoria with Lua is that Lua seems to be very similar to Euphoria in many respects: lightweight, simple, easy to learn and to use, small footprint... etc. But it does support OOP (although its use is not required) In other words, Lua would really seem to be Euphoria's twin.

So, can anyone with advanced technical knowledge (especially Euphoria's developers) provide some more information about the differences/similarities between Lua and Euphoria? Thanks

5. Re: Lua and Euphoria

Does Euphoria support OOP???

6. Re: Lua and Euphoria

I'm not familiar with Lua but if you are interested in a speed comparison, check out the demo/bench folder in the Euphoria download. It uses the Prime Sieve benchmark test to compare Euphoria to other languages, including Lua. I'm not sure when those benchmarks were done, but I would guess the trends are accurate. Euphoria looks to be significantly faster than Lua.

Also, Euphoria can do OOP through one of the many user contributions. Please check out http://rapideuphoria.com/cgi-bin/asearch.exu?dos=on&win=on&lnx=on&gen=on&keywords=oop to see some of the various implementations.

Thanks,
Ira

7. Re: Lua and Euphoria

I think there is a major difference.

Lua has Portuguese language support!

Matt, hurry up and learn Portuguese!

8. Re: Lua and Euphoria

My last question about Euphoria. Do Euphoria create memory efficient programs????

9. Re: Lua and Euphoria

Euphoric_Kid said...

My last question about Euphoria. Do Euphoria create memory efficient programs????

Not really, but that depends on what you mean by memory efficient. In general, Euphoria trades memory for speed, meaning that is uses more than the minimum memory it could but by doing that it gains a lot of speed advantages.

On today's computers, memory is not expensive and most computers have RAM to burn.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu