1. New PDF Manual

Hello,

Over the past week we've been working on a new PDF manual. It still uses EuDoc and the Creole format but previously we would convert to HTML then use a HTML to PDF converter. This produced less than optimal results. Thus, we have extended creolehtml to support multiple output formats and renamed it to creole.ex. It will now output HTML or LaTeX files from Creole formatted files. In the near future (post 4.0 however) it will also support Text and possibly DocBook formats. This tool can be downloaded from our Mercurial SCM repository: hg:creole. The updated creole tool will be included in 4.0 final as a binary as it works in direct conjunction with EuDoc to produce user reference material not only for Euphoria itself but any euphoria based project. As an example, EuDoc and creole.ex has done 100% of the formatting for the EuIUP website directly from EuIUP sources: http://jeremy.cowgar.com/euiup. Everything you see there has come from EuDoc and creole.ex

The manual rendered from these LaTeX sources is temporarly available at:

Please report any formatting errors you find here on this thread. It is still a work in progress but already far better than our previous offerings but could use a few eyes pointing out formatting errors. Normal documentation errors should have their own ticket created.

Thanks for help and viewing.

Jeremy

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: New PDF Manual

ED (Jeremy): Fixed by Derek

Hi Jeremy,

Here we go:

I don't know if you consider it an error or not but there is inconsistent use of the '/' in chapter & subchapter titles;

• 3.3 Tool Additions/Enhancements
  • 21.2 with / without
  • 29.5 Security / Multi-user Access
  • 30.4 DLL / Shared Library Interface
  • 33.10 Library / Built-In Routines
  • 41 Date/Time
  • 41.2 Date/Time type Accessors
  • 43 I/O
  • 43.2 Read/Write Routines
  • 45 Pipe Input/Output
  • 45.4 Opening/Closing
  • 45.4 Read/Write Process
  • 53.5 Extracting, removing, replacing from/into a sequence
  • 56.2 Time/Number Translation
  • 57.5 Create/Destroy
  • 60 Base 64 Encoding/Decoding
  • 74.3 Get/Post Routines
  • 90.5 get/set options
  • 95.3 Enhancement/Changes
  • 96.4 Enhancement/Changes
new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: New PDF Manual

Lnettnay said...

I don't know if you consider it an error or not but there is inconsistent use of the '/' in chapter & subchapter titles;

Indeed. I also noticed a few sections in the TOC that ended with :

I've also made a note of your report on IRC of TOC chap/sec numbers running into the chap/sec text.

Jeremy

4. Re: New PDF Manual

2nd list:

In the TOC if a subchapter number is > 9 then there is no space between the number and the title text. See 22.10 - 22.13, 26.10 - 26.12, 33.10 - 33.15, 36.10 - 36.12, 65.10, 71.10 -71.13

ED (Jeremy): Invalid, 1st paragraph of section is not indented per (a) standard

Starting on page 2 - paragraphs are inconsistently indented; some are left flush & some are indented.

See the 1st 5 lines of chapter 1 starting with " Welcome to the Euphoria programming language!

Last paragraph on page 3 - left flush

Page 3 - the example program referenced in the 2nd paragraph is missing.

Page 5 - heading at top of page has left side text and right side text running into each other in the middle

Page 6:

Paragraph starting 'Windows will be a general ...' runs off the right side of the page

5. Re: New PDF Manual

Lnettnay said...

Starting on page 2 - paragraphs are inconsistently indented; some are left flush & some are indented.

The first paragraph of a section should not have their first line indented.

Jeremy

6. Re: New PDF Manual

Very nice! I like it.

in 17.3.1, "Euphoria is release with" sb "Euphoria is released with"; ditto 2nd sentence after that.

And a question: what does "defined" (in same section) mean, as in: "When 4.0.1 is released, EU4_0_0 will no longer be defined, but EU4_0_1 will be defined."

Supported? Documented? Something else specific to a process of releasing versions of a program?

Dan

7. Re: New PDF Manual

In section 21.2.1, "with/without On/Off options", the right column in the chart has "A,B,C,D...", instead of the actual options.

Dan

8. Re: New PDF Manual

DanM said...

And a question: what does "defined" (in same section) mean, as in: "When 4.0.1 is released, EU4_0_0 will no longer be defined, but EU4_0_1 will be defined."

Supported? Documented? Something else specific to a process of releasing versions of a program?

Dan

This should be more clearly documented (or at least make defined a hyperlink to the section with the explanation).

But, it is related to the new ifdef system. EU4_0_0 is defined automatically and ifdef will see it, but when 4.0.1 is released EU4_0_0 is no longer defined automatically and ifdef won't see it anymore.

We also have a generic EU4 ifdef that will remain present until we go to 5.0 and have EU5 defined instead.

A similar situation relates to platform specific ifdefs. ifdef WINDOWS then ... elsifdef UNIX then ... elsedef can replace if platform() = WIN32 then elsif platform() = FREEBSD or ... then ... else.

9. Re: New PDF Manual

I suspect that maybe this is simply ignorance on my part, but:

In "CHAPTER 61. MATH 61.2. ROUNDINGS AND REMAINDERS", what does "shape" mean?
As in:

"Returns: An object, the shape of which depends on dividend's and divisor's."

The same term is used later in that section, too.

Dan

10. Re: New PDF Manual

DanM said...

As in:

Dan

The shape of an object is firstly, whether it's an atom or a sequence, and secondly for a sequence, how deeply nested it is.

{1,2,3} and {4,5,6} have the same shape, as do 9.8 and -123.

{1,2,3} and {"1","2","3"} have different shapes, as 0 and "" have different shapes.

11. Re: New PDF Manual

Just to be clear, the content of the PDF manual is the same as the HTML manual. They are built from the same sources. So errors found in the PDF also exist int he HTML manual. Errors in the HTML manual will also be in the PDF file. We do not maintain two different manuals, just two different output formats are generated from the same manual source.

Jeremy

12. Re: New PDF Manual

jeremy said...

Just to be clear, the content of the PDF manual is the same as the HTML manual. They are built from the same sources. So errors found in the PDF also exist int he HTML manual. Errors in the HTML manual will also be in the PDF file. We do not maintain two different manuals, just two different output formats are generated from the same manual source.

Jeremy

Although it's possible that artifacts from the build process could lead to different formating errors seen differently in the PDF and the HTML.

Build process artifacts causing content differences (e.g. an entire section being left out of the PDF accidently, or a section duplicated by accident in the HTML) are theoretically possible, though far less likely.

13. Re: New PDF Manual

jimcbrown said...
DanM said...

As in:

Dan

The shape of an object is firstly, whether it's an atom or a sequence, and secondly for a sequence, how deeply nested it is.

{1,2,3} and {"1","2","3"} have different shapes, as 0 and "" have different shapes.

Ok, thanks, makes sense; but for any first time Euphoria users who might be confused, maybe a link to that kind of explanation, same as link for "defined" per previous message? Unless, of course, the usage of "shape" for "atom, or sequence nestedness" has been already made somewhere in the docs.

Sometimes we get used to using words for a very particular meaning, not realizing that others may not yet understand that particular meaning, when it seems perfectly obvious to us.

Dan

14. Re: New PDF Manual

Can I point out that on page 56 you have:

"When you ( a Euphoria file in another file, "

which seems a little odd! Generally this PDF looks good.

15. Re: New PDF Manual

This is one of the links that didn't work

16. Re: New PDF Manual

DanM said...

Very nice! I like it.

in 17.3.1, "Euphoria is release with" sb "Euphoria is released with"; ditto 2nd sentence after that. Dan

Fixed. lnettnay

17. Re: New PDF Manual

jimcbrown said...

I have never heard this before. I guess it makes sense.

Matt

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu