1. Web server log: can't create error message file: ex.err

Anybody know why this is happening?

I've "aliased" /cgi-bin/ to a directory in $HOME which is world writable, so EU should be able to write the file, but obviously something else is preventing it from doing so. Or is there a way to turn off writing ex.err?

Duke

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Web server log: can't create error message file: ex.err

Are you using 4.0 or 3.x? If 4.0, I would try (to make sure it's writing in the right location) is use man:std_error#crash_file. Set it to, say, /tmp/mywebapp.err to start with and see if it can write there. If so, I'll bet something isn't right with the permissions somewhere.

If 3.x, try making a ex.err file and doing chmod a+rwx ex.err. This is not for production use, nothing should ever be world writable. It's merely a step to determine what the actual problem is.

Jeremy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Web server log: can't create error message file: ex.err

I'm using V3.1.1

I "touch"ed an ex.err file, and chmod like you suggested. It's logging errors now thanks!
Much obliged!

Merry Christmas! everybody...

Duke

4. Re: Web server log: can't create error message file: ex.err

Ok. If this is the case, then I would do:

## ug+xxx shown for clarity 
$ chmod ug+rw,ug-x,o-rwx ex.err 
$ chown my_username:www-data ex.err 

and see if it works still. Also remove the a+rwx from the directory. It may be easier to get things to work that way but opens you up to all sorts of security holes.

Jeremy

5. Re: Web server log: can't create error message file: ex.err

jeremy said...

Are you using 4.0 or 3.x? If 4.0, I would try (to make sure it's writing in the right location) is use man:std_error#crash_file. Set it to, say, /tmp/mywebapp.err to start with and see if it can write there. If so, I'll bet something isn't right with the permissions somewhere.

You can use crash_file with 3.1, too.

Matt

6. Re: Web server log: can't create error message file: ex.err

jeremy said...

Ok. If this is the case, then I would do:

## ug+xxx shown for clarity 
$ chmod ug+rw,ug-x,o-rwx ex.err 
$ chown my_username:www-data ex.err 

and see if it works still. Also remove the a+rwx from the directory. It may be easier to get things to work that way but opens you up to all sorts of security holes.

Jeremy

OK! I'll give it a shot! Thanks...

Duke

7. Re: Web server log: can't create error message file: ex.err

mattlewis said...
jeremy said...

You can use crash_file with 3.1, too.

Matt

Noted!

Duke

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu