1. password protect

how would i go about adding a password to a edb file to keep data safe even if the computer is stolen?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: password protect

apeto said...

how would i go about adding a password to a edb file to keep data safe even if the computer is stolen?

Support for password protection does not exist in EDS. You'll have to use some other solution (like keeping the edb file inside of a password protected zip file and having your program run an unzip program after asking for the password, or using NTFS's builting encryption mechanisms).

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: password protect

apeto said...

I have some ideas about this. I'll try them out and get back to you in about 24 hours.

4. Re: password protect

Derek said...

I have some ideas about this. I'll try them out and get back to you in about 24 hours.

??

5. Re: password protect

apeto said...
DerekP said...

??

LOL smile That's the trouble with the internet ... people take it too literally...

Actually I was working on it last night and it looks like I got a solution for you. I'm at work right now but I'll post some example code tonight from home. It uses an encryption module that is based on the TEA algorithm, which I'll make available from my website.

6. Re: password protect

DerekParnell said...
DerekParnell said...

LOL smile That's the trouble with the internet ... people take it too literally...

I thought it meant 24 hours also. A few days or soon may have been better choices. 24 hours is a specific time frame, give or take a few hours in a case like this.

Jeremy

7. Re: password protect

jeremy said...
DerekParnell said...
DerekParnell said...

I thought it meant 24 hours also. A few days or soon may have been better choices. 24 hours is a specific time frame, give or take a few hours in a case like this.

Jeremy

tongue The written word doesn't quite do enough ... The joke was my reply. Of course I originally meant a literal 24 hours but things happened which set my timetable back (my son's car broke down in the middle of nowhere and I had to go rescue him, which took about 5 hours). Anyhow, I worked on the issue this morning before going to work and came up with a possible way to do it. Tonight, I'll knock up some sample code that demonstrates a technique that the OP might like to use or refine.

8. Re: password protect

Hi Derek,
Perhaps encryption of the whole EDS database is not required...
What if only the records themselves are encrypted?
Maybe just replacement code for get/put/replace, then you also save on overhead of decrypting indexes when doing big searches.

But why re-invent the wheel if the whole database needs to be encrypted, just use
something like Truecrypt which turns a encrypted file into a filesystem.
See www.truecrypt.org

Depends on whats needed of course.

9. Re: password protect

For those interested, Truecrypt can be hosted on Windows or Linux,
and can be invoked from the command line, so opening/closing it from within
Euphoria code should be a snap. From the online docs:

TrueCrypt.exe [/a [devices|favorites]] [/b] [/c [y|n]] [/d [drive letter]] [/e] [/f] [/h [y|n]] [/k keyfile or search path] [/l drive letter] [/m {bk|rm|recovery|ro|sm|ts}] [/p password] [/q [background|preferences]] [/s] [/v volume] [/w]

10. Re: password protect

alanjohnoxley said...

Hi Derek,
Perhaps encryption of the whole EDS database is not required...
What if only the records themselves are encrypted?
Maybe just replacement code for get/put/replace, then you also save on overhead of decrypting indexes when doing big searches.

Which is what I'm doing. It's easy to do the entire DB but I'm doing it at record I/O time.

There is not much point in encrypting index values as they should be just meaningless numbers, if the database is designed well.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu