1. Hello.ex F1 and F2 behavior

I am going through the tutorial applications and the first one I try does not quite work as expected. When running eui hello.ex the tutorial clearly says that I can:

7:  -- To run this tutorial, 
    8:  --        Press Enter to execute the highlighted Euphoria statement. 
    9:  --        Press F1 to flip to the main output screen. 
   10:  --        Press F2 to flip back to this trace screen. 
   11:  --        Read the comments as you go.       

When pressing F1 nothing appears to happen. When pressing F2 the terminal exits. That means I cannot flip back and forth. This might be a problem when debugging. So maybe this is my terminal application (TERM=ansi) is the real problem.

I am also curious if it is possible to set break points while running trace and issues related to includes. Well perhaps that is a topic for another time.

Thanks for any advice.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Hello.ex F1 and F2 behavior

I can confirm that this doesn't work properly on most linux terminals. If you use kterm, it seems ok.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Hello.ex F1 and F2 behavior

Maybe we need to create a different set of shortcuts? Seems that the window manager and terminal program on some Linux clients are eating F1, F2, ... keystrokes.

Jeremy

4. Re: Hello.ex F1 and F2 behavior

jeremy said...

Maybe we need to create a different set of shortcuts? Seems that the window manager and terminal program on some Linux clients are eating F1, F2, ... keystrokes.

Jeremy

Agreed.

This is probably happening because we don't deal with terminfo (or the even older cousin, termcap) to figure out which set of escape sequences correspond to which set of extended keys. (ncurses used to do this for us.)

Most interactive console programs (such as vi, lynx, etc) support using designated ascii keys as replacements for this reason. (e.g. h,j,k,l functioning as LEFT,DOWN,UP,RIGHT).

5. Re: Hello.ex F1 and F2 behavior

We now use '1', '2', and 'j' for F1, F2, and DOWN_ARROW.

jimcbrown said...
jeremy said...

Jeremy

Agreed.

This is probably happening because we don't deal with terminfo (or the even older cousin, termcap) to figure out which set of escape sequences correspond to which set of extended keys. (ncurses used to do this for us.)

Most interactive console programs (such as vi, lynx, etc) support using designated ascii keys as replacements for this reason. (e.g. h,j,k,l functioning as LEFT,DOWN,UP,RIGHT).

6. Re: Hello.ex F1 and F2 behavior

jimcbrown said...

"now" - as in "Trace in V4.0" ?

Duke

7. Re: Hello.ex F1 and F2 behavior

dukester said...
jimcbrown said...

"now" - as in "Trace in V4.0" ?

Duke

Yes. This will be included in RC2 (and is already in the latest eubins).

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu