1. Euphoria Demos

Forked from Re: Euphoria to C

jimcbrown said...
Jesse said...

Please suggest a working, translatable, and compilable, program that I and other new users can use to get a demonstration of the benefits of translation.

For starters, multiple demos are included in the beta 2 and beta 3 sources.

For Euphoria 3.1.1, I believe Edita is the best real world example.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Euphoria Demos

jimcbrown said...

I believe Edita is the best real world example.

Thank you! But has anyone actually tried it yet? blink

Pete

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Euphoria Demos

I have tried to translate edita.exw with the following command.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jesse\Desktop\euphoria\edplus>euc edita.exw .\arwen.ew:210 <0090>:: found reserved word 'label' but was expecting a parameter name instead. function addControl(integer objType, integer parentId, atom hwnd, sequence label , atom hBitmap) ^ Warning ( not_used ): <0320>:: .\machine.e - module variable 'check_calls' is assigned but never u sed: It seems to have failed. Edita was not in the Euphoria package so I got it at http://www.rapideuphoria.com/edplus.zip. I also attempted to do the translation with ecw. You can view the errors at http://www.filedropper.com/editatranslation. That link may expire.

Looking for an easier target in the demo folder that came with the Euphoria 4 R3 release I attempted:

exw sieve8k.exw:

and got:

C:\euphoria4\include\std/get.e:3 namespace has not been declared namespace stdget ^ Press Enter:

so I didn't bother trying to translate it. (Oddly, if I just type sieve8k.exw a console window binks in and out of existence. So I understand that these files are executable without explicitly calling the interpreter. In fact taskwire.exw works if I just call it, but it produces an error if I type "exw taskwire.exw".)

euc taskwire.exw was successful in creating an executable. Unfortunately I couldn't see any difference in the rendering speed. The good news is that it works!

bench.ex doesn't work.

Going back to the archives I found: http://www.rapideuphoria.com/shootout.zip. This package also features a bench.ex. The default test ran with errors so I modified the list to:

constant FILE_LIST = { "nbody.ex 2000000" }:

The nbody test ran without errors, so I attempted to translate bench.ex.

euc bench.ex:

Success! bench.exe runs and the results are... slower than the interpreted bench.ex. This is just one test, (after a string of outright failures,) but my enthusiasm is waning.

-edit: I am using version 4 beta 3.

4. Re: Euphoria Demos

C:\euphoria4\include\std/get.e:3 namespace has not been declared namespace stdget ^

It appears that you are trying to run that program using a version of Euphoria written a long time ago before there was such a thing as "namespace".

Someone here can tell how far back that goes. You might try removing all euphoria folders and code from your machine, and starting fresh.

The compiler works (at least in Linux) - I always compile one program before I make a release of my EuGTK library. However, if you are expecting to see some miraculous speed increase, it isn't going to happen. Euphoria is already fast in interpreted mode, and only a few specialized tasks are going to benefit from the extra minor speed increase. Most differences are completely masked by the OS and user-interface overhead.

5. Re: Euphoria Demos

euc and eui are the commands for 4.0 beta 3. ecw and exw are older commands for 3.1.1

Edita is known not to work with 4.0, and the translation errors you had for ecw (which must be Euphoria 3.1.1) appear to be caused by the use of the euphoria.h file from euphoria4. When using Euphoria 3.1.1, you need to make sure that %EUDIR% points to the Euphoria 3.1.1 directory so the correct files are used. (This is only an issue when a person has multiple Euphoria versions installed at the same time.)

6. Re: Euphoria Demos

Haha, okay. I cleaned up my 3.1 rapideuphoria install. How can I help with the manual? Statements like, "This will give you an executable file that will typically run much faster than if you used the Euphoria interpreter." are somewhat misleading. My suggestion is to keep the copy of the manual for reference, but earmark it with a big disclaimer and petition the users to transfer anything that is actually useful over to the wiki. In time the wiki will probably make a better manual. Thanks everyone,

7. Re: Euphoria Demos

I don't expect to do any work on the Eu3 documentation.

As to the e}4 documentation, just send you comments to this form. All comments are welcome.

I am open to ideas as to how to make the documentation easier to navigate.

I also invite anyone to contribute demos that can be added to the documentation.

Don't worry about the format and details of your contributions--I will worry such things.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu