1. Run Euphoria without installing -- Use the Slax module

I made a module for Slax Linux.

You can try Euphoria on Linux without any impact on your exisiting OS, your files, or your computer.

• download Slax Linux: www.slax.org ( 200 MB )
    • pick from bootable CD, or bootable USB version
  • download euSlax3021.lzm ( 9 MB ) from

http://a.imagehost.org/download/0899/euSlax3021

You now have:

• Slax linux that boots either from CD or USB stick
  • interpreter (eui version 3021 )
  • Kate (with syntax coloring)
  • compiler ( euc and gcc)
  • documentation (pdf)
  • gui (Mullins GTK)
  • documentation tools ( eudoc, creolehtml, htmtmldoc )
  1. Just click on the module file to load it into Slax.
  2. Then simultaneously press ctr+alt+backspace (to activate the new profile)
  3. The "Home" icon takes you to Euphoria, pdf, and gui demos
new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Run Euphoria without installing -- Use the Slax module

Pretty cool. Too bad Slax is missing some of the newer GTK controls. BTW, by this evening, I'll have an update to EuGTK posted, with new demos of listview, iconview, and treeview controls.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Run Euphoria without installing -- Use the Slax module

Very nice. It's a pleasure to come across a package that works as intended straight 'out of the box'.

One really unrelated question: when I try to open a non-existent file for 'append' under linux I get an error. Under windows, agreeably, an empty file is quietly generated. Is the inconsistency due to differencies in operating systems or is it just a euphoria quirk?

jiri

4. Re: Run Euphoria without installing -- Use the Slax module

jiri said...

when I try to open a non-existent file for 'append' under linux I get an error. Under windows, agreeably, an empty file is quietly generated.

Can someone else confirm this effect? Looking at the source code, Euphoria's backend calls the 'fopen' C function, which according to the Linux docs will create a file in 'append' mode if the file doesn't exist.

5. Re: Run Euphoria without installing -- Use the Slax module

DerekParnell said...
jiri said...

when I try to open a non-existent file for 'append' under linux I get an error. Under windows, agreeably, an empty file is quietly generated.

Can someone else confirm this effect? Looking at the source code, Euphoria's backend calls the 'fopen' C function, which according to the Linux docs will create a file in 'append' mode if the file doesn't exist.

Using r3021, the following code works fine for me (it creates the empty file and prints a file handle of 3):

integer h 
h = open("/tmp/hty.hty", "a") 
? h 
close(h) 

6. Re: Run Euphoria without installing -- Use the Slax module

jiri said...

One really unrelated question: when I try to open a non-existent file for 'append' under linux I get an error. Under windows, agreeably, an empty file is quietly generated. Is the inconsistency due to differencies in operating systems or is it just a euphoria quirk?

jiri

Are you sure that you have permission to write to that directory? If the unix permissions (set via chmod) are not set up correctly, Euphoria (or any other unix program you run) won't be able to open any file for writing or create any file in that directory, hence the error.

7. Re: Run Euphoria without installing -- Use the Slax module

jimcbrown said...
jiri said...

jiri

Are you sure that you have permission to write to that directory? If the unix permissions (set via chmod) are not set up correctly, Euphoria (or any other unix program you run) won't be able to open any file for writing or create any file in that directory, hence the error.

If I create an empty file with the required name by hand (e.g. using a text editor), the program happily writes to it, it runs ok. jiri

8. Re: Run Euphoria without installing -- Use the Slax module

jiri said...

If I create an empty file with the required name by hand (e.g. using a text editor), the program happily writes to it, it runs ok. jiri

Ok, please run this:

strace eui <the program.ex> 2>&1 | tee logfile.txt

And then copy&paste the logfile to http://euphoria.pastey.net

9. Re: Run Euphoria without installing -- Use the Slax module

Sorry, guys. It was my own stupid mistake: I was using a program I had devoloped originally under windows. The output file had the same name as the executable without the '.exe' extension. Under linux it is, of course, also the name of the running executable, which, quite properly, refused to overwrite itself...

Sorry... jiri

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu