1. FTP transferred files undeletable

Much as I hate to ask questions which are not really Euphorian, I suspect some of you experts will answer this easily.

I have a program - written in Euphoria, of course! - which reads and writes configuration files to/from our FTP server, which is a FreeNAS device, (based on Linux, I guess) via the internet. Anyway, files that this program has written are not deletable when I access the server via our simple network. So all the test files and other junk that has gotten on there during the development phase are now there permanently - so it seems. I can't change the access permissions - so how do I remove them? Or do I need to add extra code to my configuration program to permit file deletion - something I am loathe to permit; the whole point of storing on the FTP server with its RAID-5 array is security!

So - as I always ask - any ideas, gentlemen?

Andy

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: FTP transferred files undeletable

Hi

If you have permission to write files, then you should have permission to delete files, so I suspect you should be looking at your ftp server config. If you are using vsftp, then I think (from memory, without looking, so I could be wrong) that there is a configuration that only allows explicit users to delete files using ftp.

If you can ssh into the device, and delete them that way, either as a user or as root, then its definitely an ftp server issue.

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: FTP transferred files undeletable

ChrisB said...

Hi

If you have permission to write files, then you should have permission to delete files, so I suspect you should be looking at your ftp server config. If you are using vsftp, then I think (from memory, without looking, so I could be wrong) that there is a configuration that only allows explicit users to delete files using ftp.

If you can ssh into the device, and delete them that way, either as a user or as root, then its definitely an ftp server issue.

Chris

The odd thing is we use the NAS for all backup storage and there is no bother reading/writing/deleting files from our PCs. Everything is in order. I run the FTP program on this PC, where I do all my work, and it reads and writes config files with gay abandon. But they seem to have no permissions to access by me. Looking at Properties, Security, I find there are three Groups - Everyone, Kestrel test(FREENAS\kestrel), and wheel (Unix group\wheel). I have to say I am totally confused by that. Only the Kestrel test(FREENAS\kestrel) has R/W access. Seeing that made me try opening a file in Notepad - not permitted. So I have no R/W access at all to these files. That means I must be Everyone or wheel.

Do I assume that if I FTP to the server rather than accessing it on a Microsoft Windows Network, it assigns an owner to the file, that owner being Kestrel test (FREENAS\kestrel) - I quote the names verbatim - and if that is true, how do I define the owner from the program? Preferably to "Everyone" so he, Everyone, can delete them? There is something fundamental I don't understand about all this! I'm using Wininet.dll by the way.

I have a shell access on the NAS but I can make neither head nor tail of it. I'm not a Unix man.

4. Re: FTP transferred files undeletable

I would still like to know how to fix this, but in the meantime I can access the server using FileZilla and delete spurious files that way. Probably safer even than I had in mind!

Andy

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu