1. Is there a DOS16 version of Euphoria still kicking around?

I just installed DOSBOX on my OSX box, so that I could run David Gay's original "Beginner's Guide to Euphoria".

I then Dled EU3.1. DOSBOX chokes because it's 32 bit. David, in his HOW2RUN.TXT, says it needs EU1.5. Are the old versions still available somewhere? I could find the older versions on the RDS site. TIA... duke

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Is there a DOS16 version of Euphoria still kicking around?

dukester said...

I just installed DOSBOX on my OSX box, so that I could run David Gay's original "Beginner's Guide to Euphoria".

I then Dled EU3.1. DOSBOX chokes because it's 32 bit. David, in his HOW2RUN.TXT, says it needs EU1.5. Are the old versions still available somewhere? I could find the older versions on the RDS site. TIA... duke

EU1.5 is still 32bit, I don't think any version of Euphoria was 16bit.

If DOSBOX fails, your best bet is probably to use qEMU. http://howto.wikia.com/wiki/Howto_install_FreeDOS_in_QEMU - FreeDOS should suport 32bit with no problems.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Is there a DOS16 version of Euphoria still kicking around?

jimcbrown said...
dukester said...

EU1.5 is still 32bit, I don't think any version of Euphoria was 16bit.

If DOSBOX fails, your best bet is probably to use qEMU. http://howto.wikia.com/wiki/Howto_install_FreeDOS_in_QEMU - FreeDOS should suport 32bit with no problems.

qEMU & FreeDOS it is then. I did get Lode Runner to run on DOSBOX. :) Thanks for the heads-up!

4. Re: Is there a DOS16 version of Euphoria still kicking around?

BTW, old versions of Euphoria are available on the Empire for Euphoria forum site. It's kinda defunct, but you can find all of the previous (public domain) versions of Euphoria in the Hall of Euphoria download section.

These really should be hosted somewhere else so that people can find them more easily. Just a thought.

5. Re: Is there a DOS16 version of Euphoria still kicking around?

dukester said...

Hi

Thats really strange - I put a stripped down dos version of euphoria (3.1.1) on an elonex onet, and it works.

Try this http://www.box.net/shared/99let2qckz and extract

Put a shortcut to dosbox on your desktop, and drag autoexec.bat onto it.

Make sure you dosbox 0.72 or above.

Chris

6. Re: Is there a DOS16 version of Euphoria still kicking around?

ChrisB said...
dukester said...

Hi

Thats really strange - I put a stripped down dos version of euphoria (3.1.1) on an elonex onet, and it works.

Try this http://www.box.net/shared/99let2qckz and extract

Put a shortcut to dosbox on your desktop, and drag autoexec.bat onto it.

Make sure you dosbox 0.72 or above.

Chris

Got it! Eu on DOSBOX works great! Thanks.

However, although the tutorial "a Beginners Guide to Euphoria" works OK in DOSBOX, for some reason it chokes when I select DEMOS from the "remote". Have you seen that behavior before? TIA... Duke

7. Re: Is there a DOS16 version of Euphoria still kicking around?

Hi

There would appear to be an error in the code, and since its bound its not fixable.

However, and this kind of pushes the bounds of the terms of use (though I'm not advocating using the code, or reverse hacking), if you were to open abgte2.exe in a text editor, and do a search for 'demos' you would find a list of the demo files with what they were meant to be doing, and they do run stand alone. You could always write your own front end for the demos, giving all due credit to David Gay of course. Potentially you could run a second dos box alongside the tutorial, running the demos.

Look at d2209a.ex for a starter for listing the files.

Chris

8. Re: Is there a DOS16 version of Euphoria still kicking around?

ChrisB said...

Hi

There would appear to be an error in the code, and since its bound its not fixable.

However, and this kind of pushes the bounds of the terms of use (though I'm not advocating using the code, or reverse hacking), if you were to open abgte2.exe in a text editor, and do a search for 'demos' you would find a list of the demo files with what they were meant to be doing, and they do run stand alone. You could always write your own front end for the demos, giving all due credit to David Gay of course. Potentially you could run a second dos box alongside the tutorial, running the demos.

Look at d2209a.ex for a starter for listing the files.

Chris

Cool! Thanks for the tips & heads-up re. the T.of U. Duke

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu