1. Why Do I Have to Keep Logging In?

Every time I shut down my browser and come back, I have to login again. I tried clearing cookies but that didn't seem to help.

Any ideas? It's getting monotonous.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Why Do I Have to Keep Logging In?

euphoric said...

Every time I shut down my browser and come back, I have to login again. I tried clearing cookies but that didn't seem to help.

Every time this has happened to me, it turned out to be my own fault.

A couple of things:

Maybe your browser is clearing cookies every time it starts up or shuts down? You need to keep the cookie in order to stay logged in.

Maybe your ip address has changed between use? (I.e. going from work to home or vice versa) The forum is still broken in that it ties the cookie to a specific ip address.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Why Do I Have to Keep Logging In?

jimcbrown said...

Every time this has happened to me, it turned out to be my own fault.

A couple of things:

Maybe your browser is clearing cookies every time it starts up or shuts down? You need to keep the cookie in order to stay logged in.

Maybe your ip address has changed between use? (I.e. going from work to home or vice versa) The forum is still broken in that it ties the cookie to a specific ip address.

Any chance that'll get fixed soon?

4. Re: Why Do I Have to Keep Logging In?

I noticed that each time I log in at one location, I'm logged out of other locations. So each time I hit the forum between work and home, I have to log in again. Not a big deal to me, but it'd be nice if we used a simple cookie and didn't track by IP address.

-Greg

5. Re: Why Do I Have to Keep Logging In?

CoJaBo said...
CoJaBo said...

Any chance that'll get fixed soon?

Not likely, unfortunately. Of course, if you have the time, feel free to submit a patch to fix this, please!

(Right now, I have a VPN on my home system, and I connect thru the VPN at work to access EUforum. Since my home system is a static ip, this ensures my ip address never changes.)

6. Re: Why Do I Have to Keep Logging In?

jimcbrown said...
euphoric said...

I just looked at the cookie EuForum created. It is set to expire at the end of the session! sad

7. Re: Why Do I Have to Keep Logging In?

euphoric said...
jimcbrown said...
euphoric said...

I just looked at the cookie EuForum created. It is set to expire at the end of the session! sad

That's weird. Mine is set to expire in a year.

8. Re: Why Do I Have to Keep Logging In?

jimcbrown said...
euphoric said...

What happens if you clear the cookie? Does it set it again for a year? smile

9. Re: Why Do I Have to Keep Logging In?

euphoric said...

Your browser has to be clearing the cookie on exit. The cookie is set to expire 1 year in the future. I can exit my browser, start the browser and go back to openeuphoria.org and be logged in w/o issue. I've tested this in IE 8, Opera 10 and Firefox 3.5. What browser are you using?

Jeremy

10. Re: Why Do I Have to Keep Logging In?

jimcbrown said...

This will be fixed soon, I'll no longer depend on IP as a secondary way of determining if you are who you say you are.

Jeremy

11. Re: Why Do I Have to Keep Logging In?

ghaberek said...

I noticed that each time I log in at one location, I'm logged out of other locations. So each time I hit the forum between work and home, I have to log in again. Not a big deal to me, but it'd be nice if we used a simple cookie and didn't track by IP address.

We actually do not track by IP address, we do track by a simple cookie. However, in your session, your last IP address is stored and then compared when returning. If different, it logs you out. This, however, has been cited as a bad secondary check, so I'll remove it.

Jeremy

12. Re: Why Do I Have to Keep Logging In?

euphoric said...

Not here, it has an expire date of 2010-10-02. I just double checked in Opera 10 and Firefox 3.5.

Jeremy

13. Re: Why Do I Have to Keep Logging In?

euphoric said...
jimcbrown said...
euphoric said...

When you log in, it sets it for a year. The current system will make you login every year or every time your IP changes, or every time you use a different web browser.

Jeremy

14. Re: Why Do I Have to Keep Logging In?

euphoric said...
jimcbrown said...
euphoric said...

Yes, that is exactly what it does.

15. Re: Why Do I Have to Keep Logging In?

jeremy said...

When you log in, it sets it for a year. The current system will make you login every year or every time your IP changes, or every time you use a different web browser.

Jeremy

I'm on a dialup using ffox2 and haven't had to login for weeks. so the IP check must not be working. I just assumed the IP check was droped already.

16. Re: Why Do I Have to Keep Logging In?

Looking at the cookies in Firefox, it looks like it's a year out from today. So I guess the issue is with Chrome. getlost

Jeremy, I have two cookies: euweb_sessinfo and euf_sessinfo. What is the euweb_ one for? I'm guessing the wiki. euf_ seems to be for the forum...?

17. Re: Why Do I Have to Keep Logging In?

euphoric said...

Looking at the cookies in Firefox, it looks like it's a year out from today. So I guess the issue is with Chrome. getlost

Jeremy, I have two cookies: euweb_sessinfo and euf_sessinfo. What is the euweb_ one for? I'm guessing the wiki. euf_ seems to be for the forum...?

I think the euf_ is an old cookie. It should only be setting euweb_sessinfo? Delete the cookie and see if it comes back.

Jeremy

18. Re: Why Do I Have to Keep Logging In?

jeremy said...

I think the euf_ is an old cookie. It should only be setting euweb_sessinfo? Delete the cookie and see if it comes back.

Yes, it only set the euweb_ cookie. However, it set if for "End of session."

Is there any code in the system that would set it for "End of session" instead of for "a year from now?" Maybe Chrome is triggering that condition...

19. Re: Why Do I Have to Keep Logging In?

euphoric said...
jeremy said...

Yes, it only set the euweb_ cookie. However, it set if for "End of session."

Is there any code in the system that would set it for "End of session" instead of for "a year from now?" Maybe Chrome is triggering that condition...

Not that I am aware of. You can browse the user.e in the svn repo (euphoria repo). On Opera, IE8 and FireFox it sets it for 1 year. I don't know about how Chrome works. I'm paranoid about how big Google is getting so I ceased using a lot of their products and never started with Chrome smile

Jeremy

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu