1. New Website

Maybe we can keep web site related chatter here, and leave the 4.0 beta 1 release thread for beta 1 release.

Jeremy

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: New Website

Ok, i don't like the timestamp, i don't have a clue what time zone that is in. I prefer the "hours ago" stamp.

useless

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: New Website

useless said...

Ok, i don't like the timestamp, i don't have a clue what time zone that is in. I prefer the "hours ago" stamp.

Hm, I hadn't thought of that, the hours ago dealing with time zone issues. Good point.

Jeremy

4. Re: New Website

What happened to the little stars? I miss them now. sad

And what about the Preview button? Can we get some formatting buttons, too?

5. Re: New Website

ghaberek said...

And what about the Preview button? Can we get some formatting buttons, too?

Here's the history of openeuphoria.org:

1. Installed a new product (wiki), we used the old listfilt stuff for the forum still
  2. Got hacked, everything was deleted by the hacker
  3. Time frame to get everything back was terrible
  4. Jeremy hacked together EUforum under severe time constraints and produced a working product, but not a pretty product in the actual source code
  5. Features were added, added, added all on top of a hacked together piece of software that had all of about 5 minutes planning because the first version was deployed in 40 minutes
  6. Jeremy began getting tired of maintaining such a lousy program, so he wrote webclay, a nice web framework written in Euphoria.
  7. Jeremy then wrote euweb using webclay, which is the website that we are using now
  8. Yesterday, a new, well designed, easy to maintain, not as functional forum was deployed

So... Now that we have a well designed application that's actually fun to work on, we will begin the feature addition stage again. In some ways the new system is already nicer (spam control, editing messages, forking messages) and in other ways it's still lacking (message list view, read/not read indicators, preview). We will get there. I am hoping also, now that we have something I would not be ashamed to show the source of to someone, that multiple people can help with the web site and we can really boom. If not, I'll pluck along at the feature set, but if so... we can really fly. I expect to add a feature every few days until we are pretty happy with the system.

Jeremy

6. Re: New Website

The quick links for the manual are wrong.

getting:

openeuphoria.org/manual/eu400_0059.html

want:

openeuphoria.org/docs/eu400_59.html#2115_sequencecentricroutines

7. Re: New Website

useless said...

Kat, the hours ago fix is deployed, thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't really thought of it as solving the "timezone" problem, but it does!

Jeremy

8. Re: New Website

ghaberek said...

And what about the Preview button?

Post and edit now have preview buttons.

Jeremy

9. Re: New Website

Nice!, Written using euphoria as well!

Would like the new post stars back though.

10. Re: New Website (little star)

ghaberek said...

I added the little star back (kind of). This star appears based on if you have visited the link or not.

Jeremy

11. Re: New Website

ghaberek said...

Can we get some formatting buttons, too?

We had formatting buttons at one point but they didn't seem to work on all the different browsers. I just added a "Common Formatting" cheat sheet above the body, and then "More Common Formatting" below the post form.

Jeremy

12. Re: New Website

Another thing: the page header is a bit tall. It's full of nothingness.

I played around and changed the height of header and header_inner to 64px instead of 122px. Then I set the main_inner padding-top to 20px instead of 3.5em.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/ghaberek/th_OpenEuphoria-header.png
(click for larger image)

Then I went a step further and set the #menu li a padding to 0.25em 1.4em which got the menu buttons down to a more appropriate size for the smaller header.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/ghaberek/th_OpenEuphoria-header2.png
(click for larger image)

Let me know what you think...

-Greg

13. Re: New Website

ghaberek said...

I like the efficient use of real estate, so Greg's changes are a good thing. smile

14. Re: New Website

ghaberek said...

I agree but am no guru smile Euphoric agrees, so it must be the best course of action to take... Can you send me the necessary changes? (Please make sure you have the latest CSS as I have applied a few style changes recently). When you sent the changes, I'll apply them right away. jeremy...@...cowgar sdot com

Jeremy

P.S. We need an email obfuscator, anyone have a good method? Please fork this thread and let's talk about it.

15. Re: New Website

jeremy said...
ghaberek said...

Can we get some formatting buttons, too?

We had formatting buttons at one point but they didn't seem to work on all the different browsers.

I think that was due to some bad javascript code and not the browsers' fault.

16. Re: New Website

DerekParnell said...

I think that was due to some bad javascript code and not the browsers' fault.

Yes, but no one wanted to spend the time to make the code cross browser happy, so the cheat sheet text was installed instead of the buttons, because they caused more "this button doesn't work" type reports than we wanted to deal with.

Jeremy

17. Re: New Website

I'm not a fan of the threaded-only view of posts. I really prefer a time-ordered view of messages rather than time-within-thread order. Is the removal of a message list view temporary or was that deliberate?

18. Re: New Website

DerekParnell said...

I'm not a fan of the threaded-only view of posts. I really prefer a time-ordered view of messages rather than time-within-thread order. Is the removal of a message list view temporary or was that deliberate?

I was going to see how many complaints came in. So far you and Matt are the old fogeys. The type you are describing is pretty easy to implement, however.

Jeremy

19. Re: New Website

jeremy said...

I agree but am no guru smile Euphoric agrees, so it must be the best course of action to take... Can you send me the necessary changes? (Please make sure you have the latest CSS as I have applied a few style changes recently). When you sent the changes, I'll apply them right away. jeremy...@...cowgar sdot com

Jeremy

Updates sent. smile

-Greg

20. Re: New Website

jeremy said...
DerekParnell said...

I was going to see how many complaints came in. So far you and Matt are the old fogeys. The type you are describing is pretty easy to implement, however.

Jeremy

I way prefer the time-ordered view of messages as well. By far. Now, on a forum that has higher traffic, the threaded view might be optimal and desired. But not here. Not yet anyway.

21. Re: New Website

The new website could use a bigger font so it's easier to read.

22. Re: New Website

Hey there, terrific job! Well done! I really didn't see this coming
Just a hint, you could use a smaller header, instead of 122px you could try 72px so it takes less space on a widescreen monitor.

Keep it coming, I'll be sure testing 4.0 version as soon as I finish some work I've assigned.

Cheers & thanks
Guillermo Bonvehi

23. Re: New Website

ghaberek said...

Updates sent. smile

Updates applied. smile

Thanks Greg,

Jeremy

24. Re: New Website

Jerry_Story said...

The new website could use a bigger font so it's easier to read.

Or, I can use ctrl + to enlarge the font, and ctrl 0 when I exit this website.

25. Re: New Website

jeremy said...

Jeremy

+1 complaint

26. Re: New Website

Hi Jeremy,

I am not sure if you have already planned some changes for the new website, so maybe my complaints are obsolete.
If I click on the tab named wiki, my browser will not find the website (IE 8):
Die angefragte Internetseite "openeuphoria.org/wiki/wiki.cgi" konnte nicht gefunden werden.
It works nevertheless somehow if I am logged in as user. It first shows the above message and if I click the go back arrow I get the Wiki site.
The Search and Quick Links look ok in the home and forum sections, but are on the wrong places in the manual section (they are below: 1 Euphoria Programming Language). Moreover the Search EditText and go Button overlap the text: Language. I use a resolution of 1280*1024 pixels.
I also miss the message view and the link to rapideuphoria.com. Could bug tracker tab be replaced with this link, and the links to bug tracker and developers discussions placed to the Quick Links?

Roland

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu