1. encrypt sequence

Does anyone have a suggestion for an EU routine source to encript a sequence (like a password or emailaddress) which is sent over the internet?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: encrypt sequence

GeorgeWalters said...

Does anyone have a suggestion for an EU routine source to encript a sequence (like a password or emailaddress) which is sent over the internet?

Does the recipient need to decrypt it? In other words, is it important that they get to see the plain text or do they only have to know if it's valid or not?

Can you describe how you are intending to use the transmitted information.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: encrypt sequence

DerekParnell said...
GeorgeWalters said...

Does the recipient need to decrypt it? In other words, is it important that they get to see the plain text or do they only have to know if it's valid or not?

Can you describe how you are intending to use the transmitted information.

Good poing Derek. I have both types. One is a password which they do not need to see. I just want to encrypt it and stick it in a data base. The other is more sensitative and they need to be able to see it on both ends. I guess that would take 2 types of encryption.

4. Re: encrypt sequence

GeorgeWalters said...

One is a password which they do not need to see.

Download the MD5 lib from Davi Figueiredo. It's what I use to store passwords for BBCMF.

5. Re: encrypt sequence

I think in the archives, there is Blowfish, which will work for something that needs to be encrypted and later decrypted.

http://rapideuphoria.com/cgi-bin/asearch.exu?dos=on&win=on&lnx=on&gen=on&keywords=blowfish

There are also other encrypt/decrpyt methods, some all Euphoria in the archive as well. Depending on the need for security, one may work for you...

http://www.rapideuphoria.com/cgi-bin/asearch.exu?dos=on&win=on&lnx=on&gen=on&keywords=encrypt

Jeremy

6. Re: encrypt sequence

I'm not sure why this keeps coming up. We're getting to the point in this forum where topics are being discussed over and over in multiple threads. Please use the search. We have been over this before...

Encrypting image files

ghaberek said...

I think I suggested before, use Blowfish. It allows you to encrypt/decrypt sequences in memory. I used it for a password manager that saves encrypted passwords to a Euphoria database. I would imagine it'd be the same, except for the data. I could provide an example, if you need...

-Greg

7. Re: encrypt sequence

ghaberek said...

I'm not sure why this keeps coming up. We're getting to the point in this forum where topics are being discussed over and over in multiple threads. Please use the search. We have been over this before...

Sounds like a FAQ opportunity! I nominate Greg to write it. All in favor? Aye! Done. Make it so.

8. Re: encrypt sequence

euphoric said...

Sounds like a FAQ opportunity! I nominate Greg to write it. All in favor? Aye! Done. Make it so.

I'm game. Do we have an FAQ? Is there a forum-specific FAQ?

-Greg

9. Re: encrypt sequence

ghaberek said...
euphoric said...

Instead of a FAQ entry (there is no official FAQ anyway), how about a Mini-Guide for Encryption?

10. Re: encrypt sequence

ghaberek said...
euphoric said...

-Greg

Here's an Unofficial Euphoria FAQ, but I'd rather it get ported to something official in the Manual.

11. Re: encrypt sequence

euphoric said...

Instead of a FAQ entry (there is no official FAQ anyway), how about a Mini-Guide for Encryption?

A mini-guide sounds good. Encryption is something everyone can/should use.

euphoric said...

Here's an Unofficial Euphoria FAQ, but I'd rather it get ported to something official in the Manual.

I think there should be a "Site FAQ" link at the top with the "Home" "Forum" and "Manual" links. This should be separate from the "Euphoria FAQ" which would pertain to the language itself.

-Greg

12. Re: encrypt sequence

ghaberek said...
euphoric said...

euphoric said...

I think there should be a "Site FAQ" link at the top with the "Home" "Forum" and "Manual" links. This should be separate from the "Euphoria FAQ" which would pertain to the language itself.

-Greg

Any of this would work form me. I have searched the archives and was aware of postings above. What I was really asking was a recommendation as I am not at all familiar with the topic of protecting info such as passwords, accounts, and other personal info.

thanks for the comments.

George

13. Re: encrypt sequence

ghaberek said...
euphoric said...

Actually, a better place for this might be the MiniGuides in the Wiki.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu