1. Credits missing from pipeio (and probably other libs too)

The Eu4 pipeio lib I wrote was largely a combination of 2 or 3 libs from the archives, as well as parts written by me. I had credited them in the original version of the lib, but they were erased from the first SVN submission (1724 by jeremy_c). Shouldn't these be credited? And why were they deleted?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Credits missing from pipeio (and probably other libs too)

CoJaBo said...

The Eu4 pipeio lib I wrote was largely a combination of 2 or 3 libs from the archives, as well as parts written by me. I had credited them in the original version of the lib, but they were erased from the first SVN submission (1724 by jeremy_c). Shouldn't these be credited? And why were they deleted?

Yes, and I was one of them, and I explicitly gave my permission for my attribution to be removed.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Credits missing from pipeio (and probably other libs too)

CoJaBo said...

The major problem with the standard library is that functions/routines have been pulled from many sources and then are modified pretty heavily as time goes on. For instance, right after pipeio was submitted, there were some changes to make it work in DOS as well. Most functions that were added to the standard library barely resemble themselves now.

So, who is actually responsible for it? Someone may have spend 5 minutes to make a mid() function or right() function but then another member spend 50 minutes setting up benchmarks, tests and made it 200% faster by changing 3 of the 5 lines. Who should be credited? Then, we add a new optional parameter onto it and that adds 5 lines of code to the 5 line function.

This has happened w/nearly all functions added. Maybe not to that degree yet w/pipeio, however, I am sure it will.

Another example is that I added stack.e but after time, functions were added, the whole core of it was changed to support a better method using a new library that Derek wrote, eumem.e. He spent a good deal of time changing the way stack.e works. Who should be credited? Do we move down to line by line crediting?

I think we should simply realize that the standard library is the work of at many, many, many people. It has been tested, debugged and bug fixes submitted by many other people who were not the original author.

map.e is another one. It was originally by Jiri, I believe, however, then much faster methods were found and the 95% of the original was removed. Then Derek started working on it and has expanded it's functionality a hundred fold. Then he changed the entire inner core of it drastically adding functions to Euphoria's inner core even and now it's much faster than it ever was. You could compare map.e to the original source and I guarantee you will not find more than 10 lines of the now nearly 2,000 lines that even resemble anything of the original.

This story continues on and on and on with almost every single file found in the standard library. In the end, Euphoria 4.0 is the work of the Euphoria community.

Jeremy

4. Re: Credits missing from pipeio (and probably other libs too)

If doing it in the code is impractical, why not include credits in a separate file or at least as part of the online documentation (at least PHP and Firefox do both)? As of now, they are not credited anywhere.

5. Re: Credits missing from pipeio (and probably other libs too)

There are credits in the change log for most things, but it has fallen a bit behind.

Jeremy

6. Re: Credits missing from pipeio (and probably other libs too)

http://openeuphoria.org/docs/eu400_0093.html#_5526_version40

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu