1. GLIB_2.4 and GLIBC_2.7 required probs

Hi

You chaps (the devs) seem to be compiling on the latest update of whatever Linux distro that comes out (looks like Glibc is up to 2.9 atm).

However, I run SuSE 10.0 and 10.2, which use no respectively Glibc 2.3 and 2.5, so obviously I get the Glibc required errors when trying to run eu4 on either of those systems (as a further complication, the 10.0 system is 64 bit, so compiling eu is problematical on that atm, but I get round that by compiling programs on the 32 bit system, and copying them over to the 64 bit system)

I do not want to upgrade the SuSEs, or just upgrade Glibc, as there could be too many pitfalls (these are servers running 24/7 my Eu vet database)

So, I want to compile eu4 on a virtual SuSE 10.0 32 bit to get the lowest common denominator (as Glibc requirements seem to be minimum requirements, rather than static requirements). Haven't done it yet.

Are there any tips for compiling eu4 an a completely 'nude' fresh install of Linux, or should the (config)/make/install routine 'just work'? (I have briefly read through the make included in the source). Is there a readme anywhere (for instance on the wiki, I can only see what looks like a windows guide)

Second, is there an absolute requirement for Glibc to be 2.7 + to compile eu4? If so what needs to be downgrade in order to be lowest common denominator compliable (remember this is an issue that will crop up time and again with new Linux installs, leading to frustation and disheartenment(?) along users new to Euphoria).

Chris

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: GLIB_2.4 and GLIBC_2.7 required probs

And I've just read the rest of the other thread!

http://openeuphoria.org/EUforum/index.cgi?module=forum&action=flat&id=105033#unread

Awaiting bins for Glibc 2.0.

Still interested in compiling on a 'nude' system.

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: GLIB_2.4 and GLIBC_2.7 required probs

ChrisB said...

Are there any tips for compiling eu4 an a completely 'nude' fresh install of Linux, or should the (config)/make/install routine 'just work'? (I have briefly read through the make included in the source). Is there a readme anywhere (for instance on the wiki, I can only see what looks like a windows guide)

In order to build euphoria on a system that doesn't already have a working euphoria binary, you'll need to have the source 'pre-translated.' Future releases will include this, and at that point, the standard configure/make/make install should work.

Yes, we'll need to have something like that for the source distribution, and probably in the docs, as well. The configure and makefile options aren't well documented.

Matt

4. Re: GLIB_2.4 and GLIBC_2.7 required probs

Hi

From where would I get a 'pre-translated' source?

Chris

5. Re: GLIB_2.4 and GLIBC_2.7 required probs

ChrisB said...

From where would I get a 'pre-translated' source?

From someone with a current version of euphoria. Or, if you have a version capable of running the version of ec.ex that's in the trunk, you could make it yourself. I'm not sure if the latest alpha will do it (probably due to the changes to ifdef syntax, but I'm not sure about the timing of all that). In fact, you should be able to do it from another platform, using the -plat switch for the translator.

We haven't gotten to packaging that up yet. It'll probably come sometime during the beta release stage.

Matt

6. Re: GLIB_2.4 and GLIBC_2.7 required probs

Chris,

Can you try an eubin? http://jeremy.cowgar.com/eubins

I was not aware of the problem w/4.0a3 until it was released. Starting with the beta cycles, I am going to download an old version of Debian (potato, 2.2) or something similar for the sole purpose of build the binaries for release.

Sorry about that.

Jeremy

7. Re: GLIB_2.4 and GLIBC_2.7 required probs

Hey, Jeremy, no problem. I'll try a eubin download.

Thanks Matt.

PS - there's a hole in my bucket! Can someone loan me working bucket 3 so that I can fix bucket 4 smile

Chris

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu