1. 4.0a3 is going to be released today!

Just figured I'd get everyone's attention smile

We are anticipating that this will be our last alpha release. We are hoping to move quickly into a beta status. To help achieve that, this 4.0a3 release will include an installer for Windows which will make it easy to test.

We are hoping for a mid-afternoon release (EST).

Jeremy

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: 4.0a3 is going to be released today!

Can you describe what the installer will do?

That is, what the result of the installation in relation to an existing Euphoria installation would be?

Dan

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: 4.0a3 is going to be released today!

Well, if I can put in $0.04 (inflation?), I would vote for it being completely transient. That is, it installs in a main directory of its own, such as EUALPHA> and uses config files and command line options to associate the necessary BIN and INCLUDE files. I would much prefer that it not require a set of modified environment variables, but if it must, let's make them something completely different from 3.1 or what 4.0 will end up being (something with an "alpha" in the name of each variable would work).

FWIW

Mike

4. Re: 4.0a3 is going to be released today!

Hi

My 4p (translatlantic $ for £ inflation ratio)

Can't help feeling that creating a windows installer for a final alpha is a mistake. It adds another layer of variabilty to the testing. For instance are there directory location issues? Are the environment variables set automatically. Are they changed, or just added to.

Sure, create one when there's a stable beta, but imho, hold off for now, just release a complete, working, zipped directory (much as has been released before).

Chris

5. Re: 4.0a3 is going to be released today!

The installer let's you choose where to install Euphoria to. Now, based on a few suggestions here, I have altered the installer to have a further option of updating the environment variables or not. For the alpha and beta installers, this option will default to off. Many people, however, no longer use any form of 3.1, nor have for a long time. Not just the devs. An installer will help them along the way. It also gives a few more iterations of actually testing the install phase of the language, which can get quite interesting as well.

Anyway, the concerns here have been addressed and you can be assured that when you install it, it will only change your environment if you specifically tell it to do so.

Jeremy

6. Re: 4.0a3 is going to be released today!

Excellent

Chris

7. Re: 4.0a3 is going to be released today!

Good stuff, how much longer until it is released?

8. Re: 4.0a3 is going to be released today!

I just tagged 4.0a3 in SVN. The build process will now begin for all the platforms.

Jeremy

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu