1. Developing iPhone apps

I am new to Euphoria and noted, with interest, the ability to convert EU programs to C. Has anyone had any experience in writing an iPhone app in EU and then coverting to C for submission to Apple? As I understand it, iPhone apps are written in Objective C.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Developing iPhone apps

I am not sure about iPhone apps. Euphoria 4.0 is now ported to OS X. Does that help any with iPhone? What type of processor does the iPhone use? Operating System?

Jeremy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Developing iPhone apps

The SDK will only run under OS X. I haven't seen any specifics on what is running under the hood of the iPhone.

4. Re: Developing iPhone apps

Matt007 said...

The SDK will only run under OS X. I haven't seen any specifics on what is running under the hood of the iPhone.

EU works on OS X now, but still requires an x86 processor.

5. Re: Developing iPhone apps

OK, but if the code is created with EU on an X86 and then coverted to C, wouldn't the resulting executible be indepent of processor?

6. Re: Developing iPhone apps

Matt007 said...

OK, but if the code is created with EU on an X86 and then coverted to C, wouldn't the resulting executible be indepent of processor?

The iPhone runs on an ARM chip. At one point, Mark Brown had an interpreter working for an ARM device, so it's definitely possible to do this. However, first, you'd need to port the euphoria code over to that architecture (plus OS). I've never worked with ARM, so I can't really say what might be required.

Matt

7. Re: Developing iPhone apps

Matt007 said...

No. The C code for the eu runtime library violates ANSI C in a manner such that it would only compile on an X86. And you need the runtime library or else the converted C code will not run.

It's possible to fix this by "porting" the runtime library and the translator to a different processor. I'm not sure how hard (or easy) it would be, but if you succeeded in doing this then... the rest should be easy by comparision.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu