1. Think Euphoria

I just wanted to alert everyone to this project. It's a great resource. I think we should gather behind Tom, encourage him with reports back, suggestions, fixes and praises.

http://rapideuphoria.com/cgi-bin/asearch.exu?dos=on&win=on&lnx=on&gen=on&keywords=Think+Euphoria

Jeremy

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Think Euphoria

I want to encourage this work also. It is very informative.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Think Euphoria

Good stuff, but needs reviews before it's called finalised. There's gotchas like:

* type this: 
          o ? 1 + 1 
    * save program: 
          o myfirst.ex 
    * run interpreter: 
          o ex myfirst.ex 
    * see results: 
          o 2  

The 2 won't be seen, the dosbox will open, the app will execute, and the box will close so fast you'll likely never see it, and think it's broken in some way.

I suggest everyone proofread it for mistakes in their field of expertise. I found a missing period not terminating a sentence. Trivial, i know.

useless

4. Re: Think Euphoria

Kat said...
  • see results: o 2

The 2 won't be seen, the dosbox will open, the app will execute, and the box will close so fast you'll likely never see it, and think it's broken in some way.

useless

The line "ex myfirst.ex" should work fine if typed from a command prompt.

I see this as an issue only if ex was run from Start Menu->Run, but the average user will do it from a command prompt, so there is no problem.

5. Re: Think Euphoria

jimcbrown said...
Kat said...
  • see results: o 2

useless

The line "ex myfirst.ex" should work fine if typed from a command prompt.

I see this as an issue only if ex was run from Start Menu->Run, but the average user will do it from a command prompt, so there is no problem.

I ran it from the Tools/Run in Textpad, and from command prompt in a dosbox on winxp. Both cases the screen flickered, the box wasn't even completely drawn as a black square, and disappeared. I ran both ex.exe and exw.exe, same results.

useless

6. Re: Think Euphoria

Kat said...

I ran it from the Tools/Run in Textpad, and from command prompt in a dosbox on winxp. Both cases the screen flickered, the box wasn't even completely drawn as a black square, and disappeared. I ran both ex.exe and exw.exe, same results.

useless

Hmm. I'm not sure why ex.exe would create a new windows console when run from the standard command prompt. That's like dir or copy (or more or xcopy) opening up a new dosbox.

exw.exe (and exwc.exe for that matter) are a different story altogether, but that is the reason why we prefer using the DOS version.

7. Re: Think Euphoria

"Think Euphoria" is translation of "Think Python" by Allen Downey. Since it has a GNU Free Documentation License, I did a "search and replace" of Python and replaced it with Euphoria. Some of the problems in the draft are due to this crude writing technique.

I'm testing my examples under Linux using Kate as an editor. Kate has Euphoria syntax coloring and a integrated terminal. This environment works well for the examples I have translated so far. I am open to suggestions for the best Windows environment.

After converting about half of the chapters my problem is that the Python book goes into explaining OOP. At this point my head started to hurt. Suggestions are welcome on how best to proceed.

I appreciate you observations on the first example. I will need to emphasize the differences between Windows vs Linux.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu