1. Euphoria Tutorials??

Is there a Euphoria Tutorials? If so, where can I find them?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Euphoria Tutorials??

The best place I could direct you to is the manual, sorry. http://openeuphoria.org/docs/ ... There are sample programs given with Euphoria that should help you out if you are looking for that route. Some parts of the manual read as a tutorial, however, we really do need a good tutorial for beginners to Euphoria.

Jeremy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Euphoria Tutorials??

jeremy said...

...we really do need a good tutorial for beginners to Euphoria.

Maybe these can help:

Jubilation GUIphoria

If anybody has suggestions or wants to add some stuff, let me know! smile

4. Re: Euphoria Tutorials??

euphoric said...
jeremy said...

Maybe these can help:

Jubilation GUIphoria

I'd be prepared to collaborate with a knowledgeable Euphorian, to decide what topics to cover, in what order, and in what manner. I can write better than I can program, so I'd need someone to check what I do.

Alex Caracatsanis
SunPsych at NCable dot com dot au

5. Re: Euphoria Tutorials??

euphoric said...
jeremy said...

Maybe these can help:

Jubilation GUIphoria

ck,

your "GUIphoria" looks really nice! smile

But is it messing up with some code display? When I went to "Code - wxEuphoria" page, just above the "previous-next-top" arrow controls, I see:

REMEMBER: The following code works on both Windows and Linux. Awesome!

{FILE:code_cc_wxeuphoria.txt}

But no code there!? (and it's not a working clickable link, as its display here seems to mis-suggest) Same missing(?) code on some other pages following that. There are some pages with code, so maybe I'm just misunderstanding that there should be code on the above mentioned page and similar ones?

But your tutorial itself is very nice, 'specially since I may need to be learning to use wxEuphoria, & the docs for that are (for me) sparse.

Dan

6. Re: Euphoria Tutorials??

There's David Gay's tutorial which I converted to HTML a couple of years ago:

http://www.axyp43.dsl.pipex.com/abgte.html

It's pretty dated, especially if you're using Eu 4.0, but a good introduction to the basics.

7. Re: Euphoria Tutorials??

That's a very useful introduction to Euphoria.

Some years ago, when I first found Euphoria, I did find it a bit hard to come to grips with. It had been some decades since I'd programmed (in 360/370 Assembler, and PL/S). I bumbled around a bit, but there were four things that really made things click for me:

• RTFM. Most of it really is there. And by M, I mean Euphoria itself (3.x) and each of the various libraries.
  • Play with the demo files. Most all of the code that a beginner needs is in the demos. At the moment, I'm coming to grips with wxEuphoria. I just find a demo that does something I need, lift its code and plug it in. Then play with it.
  • RTFM some more.
  • Ask on the forum. And now I'm in the fortunate position of being able to help out from time to time on the forums, which is nice, but I still ask here and get good, valuable advice.

Also, for those new to the language many, many problems come from not having a proper understanding of atoms, sequences and subscripting. The concepts that make Euphoria so powerful are really very simple. Too simple, it seems, to properly grasp the first time around. Pay special attention to these, as they are the basis for the entire language.

8. Re: Euphoria Tutorials??

CraigWelch said...

Also, for those new to the language many, many problems come from not having a proper understanding of atoms, sequences and subscripting. The concepts that make Euphoria so powerful are really very simple. Too simple, it seems, to properly grasp the first time around. Pay special attention to these, as they are the basis for the entire language.

I agree. When I first discovered Euphoria back in 2000, my only experience of programming was a bit of BASIC. It took me a while to appreciate sequences, I assumed they were like arrays, but they are far more powerful.

Bill Aitken started writing an ebook on Euphoria a few years ago, it was very good (I gave him some feedback on it while it was still being written). Pity it wasn't finished.

Also, check out Charles Newbould's "An Introduction to Euphoria Programming" in the archive under "Documentation".

9. Re: Euphoria Tutorials??

We need to link to some of these in the wiki. Also, if anyone begins to collaborate and develop a tutorial, a wiki page would be a nice place to collaborate on the Table of Contents, so quite a few people can review and give input.

Jeremy

10. Re: Euphoria Tutorials??

DanM said...

But is it messing up with some code display? When I went to "Code - wxEuphoria" page, just above the "previous-next-top" arrow controls, I see:

Thanks for the heads up! smile

I'll check that out and see if I can get a fix here today sometime.

11. Re: Euphoria Tutorials??

DanM said...

That should be fixed now. I haven't looked at the other books, though, so those might be broken as well.

Let me know if you find anything else or want to otherwise contribute. smile

12. Re: Euphoria Tutorials??

euphoric said...
DanM said...

That should be fixed now. I haven't looked at the other books, though, so those might be broken as well.

Let me know if you find anything else or want to otherwise contribute. smile

c.k.,

It's fixed.

I see on "Advanced Graphics" page of the first book, "{POPUP:dictionary.com?plethora,plethora}", where you were presumably checking to see if your use of "plethora" would be correct; the word just by itself didn't get put into your book.

What I'd suggest in your GUI book, for wxEuphoria in particular, is to take every demo (or as many as you can take the time for), and dissect & explain each one. And/or, explain the "frames/panels" usage & requirement. They're not explained in the wxEuphoria docs under "Getting Started", where they really ought to be.

Oh, and on the first book's page "Discovery", with links to other Tutorials, Chris Burch's link is dead. On that same page, you might include Jules' html conversion of David Gay's tutorial, as he mentioned in a post above:
http://www.axyp43.dsl.pipex.com/abgte.html

If I notice anything else, I'll let you know.
Ditto if I think of something to add.
Overall, I think your books are very well done and helpful.smile

Dan

13. Re: Euphoria Tutorials??

If a tutorial is going to be made for Euphoria, perhaps it could be in the style of w3schools. Here is how they do Javascript.
http://www.w3schools.com/JS/default.asp

They also do html and xml the same way.

I recently started making Google gadgets. These required me to use Javascript and I didn't know Javascript. 99% of all I know about Javascript I learned from the above link. One very useful feature of w3schools tutorials is the "tryit editor". You can edit the code in the left window and see what it does in the right window. Very powerful learning tool.
http://www.w3schools.com/JS/tryit.asp?filename=tryjs_text

14. Re: Euphoria Tutorials??

Okay, the POPUP code is working properly.

It's a good idea to explain all the examples. I put that on my TODO list. smile

I've also updated the tutorial links.

Thanks Dan!

15. Re: Euphoria Tutorials??

Euphoria is being developed by experts in legacy (read baggage full) languages.

I've found that most of the code can be simplified quite a bit further.

All hail K.I.S.S.

16. Re: Euphoria Tutorials??

shfrance said...

Euphoria is being developed by experts in legacy (read baggage full) languages.

Not true.

shfrance said...

I've found that most of the code can be simplified quite a bit further.

So show us then!

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu