1. Win32Lib & XP SP3?

Wow! It's been a while since my last post (9 months). I'm still around just not doing any Eu programming at the moment. Yes, I've turned to the dark side...I'm learning .Net. But I still miss Eu for the reasons I learned the language in the first place...simplicity.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has had any problem running Win32Lib based programs on XP with SP3 installed? I've got a couple of FROG users not able to use the program and SP3 is the common denominator.

Thanks!

Jonas Temple

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Win32Lib & XP SP3?

Jonas said...

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has had any problem running Win32Lib based programs on XP with SP3 installed? I've got a couple of FROG users not able to use the program and SP3 is the common denominator.

I don't think there's inherently conflicting about SP3. I believe I've successfully run win32lib under SP3. A more likely culprit is DEP. Try looking at:

Control Panel->Advanced [tab]->Performance Options->Data Execution Prevention [tab]

Matt

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Win32Lib & XP SP3?

Alternatively, you could disable DEP globally, disable for EUPHORIA or disable for where your application is susposed to execute memory. To do that have them patch or patch win32lib.ew by global searching in the entire windows library directory replacing call_back with xcall_back. Using jEdit you can use regular expressions supply: \bcall_back\b. Then in all of the files jEdit modifies add the following to the top of the file :

include xalloc.e.

Then they or you can put xalloc.e, from the archive under DEP, in a directory where the interpreter or translator can find it.

Shawn Pringle

4. Re: Win32Lib & XP SP3?

mattlewis said...

I don't think there's inherently conflicting about SP3. I believe I've successfully run win32lib under SP3. A more likely culprit is DEP. Try looking at:

Control Panel->Advanced [tab]->Performance Options->Data Execution Prevention [tab]

Matt

I don't have any machine with SP3 installed. Is this control panel option new for SP3?

Good to see you're still around Matt!

5. Re: Win32Lib & XP SP3?

Jonas said...

No problems that I've noticed, and I'm running worst case(?) for XP SP3: AMD (non Intel).

mattlewis said...

Matt

Matt, are you refering to XP or Vista? I don't find an "Advanced[tab]" under Control Panel on XP.

Dan

6. Re: Win32Lib & XP SP3?

DanM said...

Matt, are you refering to XP or Vista? I don't find an "Advanced[tab]" under Control Panel on XP.

Dan

Dan, in XP you can access this setting using:

Control Panel > System > Advanced Tab > Performance Settings Button

And yes, this is the culprit. I enabled DEP for all processes and any Eu program I ran bombed.

Thanks a bunch!

7. Re: Win32Lib & XP SP3?

Jonas said...
mattlewis said...

I don't have any machine with SP3 installed. Is this control panel option new for SP3?

I'm on a SP2 box right now, and I did the navigation as I was writing the post. Though as Dan noticed, I skipped a step in the write-up. :/

Control Panel->System->Advanced [tab]->Performance Options->Data Execution Prevention [tab]

Matt

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu