1. Win32Lib

I'm sure I've asked this before, but without the search functions working (either the one on the forum, or the one in my brain), I'm forced to admit my incompetence and ask again.

I have a program that builds hundreds and hundreds of controls using newUIObj. These controls are inserted onto a series of tab controls/tab indexes (pages), Maybe 7 or 8 primary tab indexes, each of which have 2 or 3 (sometimes more) tab indexes of their own (within a single tab control on each, of course).

After all of the controls are placed on the window, no matter which tab index I "set focus" to, I still see many of the controls. It looks like they are all overlaying the screen with different z-orders, but they are all remaining visible! Quite the mess.

The only solution I have right now, is to manually click each and every tab index page (including the sub-tab indexes on each page) and then, after all have been selected once, I can return to any give page and only the controls from that page will be visible.

Am I doing something fundamentally wrong by just calling newUIObj with lots of controls?

I suppose I can keep track of all of the tab indexes that are being built and then insert a setfocus command that courses through them "tricking" the computer into thinking that they have each been individually selected.

If there is a "right" way to do this, though, that I'm just ignoring, I'd rather do it the "right" way.

Thanks

Mike

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Win32Lib

Mike777 said...

I'm sure I've asked this before, but without the search functions working (either the one on the forum, or the one in my brain), I'm forced to admit my incompetence and ask again.

I have a program that builds hundreds and hundreds of controls using newUIObj. These controls are inserted onto a series of tab controls/tab indexes (pages), Maybe 7 or 8 primary tab indexes, each of which have 2 or 3 (sometimes more) tab indexes of their own (within a single tab control on each, of course).

After all of the controls are placed on the window, no matter which tab index I "set focus" to, I still see many of the controls. It looks like they are all overlaying the screen with different z-orders, but they are all remaining visible! Quite the mess.

The only solution I have right now, is to manually click each and every tab index page (including the sub-tab indexes on each page) and then, after all have been selected once, I can return to any give page and only the controls from that page will be visible.

Am I doing something fundamentally wrong by just calling newUIObj with lots of controls?

I suppose I can keep track of all of the tab indexes that are being built and then insert a setfocus command that courses through them "tricking" the computer into thinking that they have each been individually selected.

If there is a "right" way to do this, though, that I'm just ignoring, I'd rather do it the "right" way.

Are you manually setting the parent to the tab item (not the entire tab control) when you create them?

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Win32Lib

ghaberek said...
Mike777 said...

Are you manually setting the parent to the tab item (not the entire tab control) when you create them?

-Greg

All tab items must have a parent of a tab control, IIRC. I am therefore using parent=tbcParentTabControl in the newUIObj command which creates the tabitem. Of course, the tbcParentTabControl has already been created at that point.

Does that count as "manually"?

Mike

4. Re: Win32Lib

Mike777 said...

Thanks

Mike

This was corrected in win32lib 0.70.1. Which version are you using?

Also, be sure to parent your controls to the right tab item, not the tab control.

CChris

5. Re: Win32Lib

Mike777 said...

All tab items must have a parent of a tab control, IIRC. I am therefore using parent=tbcParentTabControl in the newUIObj command which creates the tabitem. Of course, the tbcParentTabControl has already been created at that point.

I meant the controls on the tabs. Are you parenting those manually? Like this:

TabControl, "Tabs" 
TabItem, "Tab1", 
    Parent="Tabs" 
PushButton, "Button1", 
    Parent="Tab1" 
TabItem, "Tab2", 
    Parent="Tabs" 
PushButton, "Button2", 
    Parent="Tab2" 

(It's been a while since I've used this style in Win32Lib, but I'm pretty sure the above is correct.)

-Greg

6. Re: Win32Lib

CChris said...
Mike777 said...

Also, be sure to parent your controls to the right tab item, not the tab control.

CChris

0.70.4 15/March/2008 is the version.

All controls have their parent set in the newUIObj command. Tab indexes have parents of tab controls (they are the only controls to have tab controls as their parent). All controls on a specific tab index have the tab index as their parent.

Mike

7. Re: Win32Lib

ghaberek said...
Mike777 said...

I meant the controls on the tabs. Are you parenting those manually? Like this:

TabControl, "Tabs" 
TabItem, "Tab1", 
    Parent="Tabs" 
PushButton, "Button1", 
    Parent="Tab1" 
TabItem, "Tab2", 
    Parent="Tabs" 
PushButton, "Button2", 
    Parent="Tab2" 

(It's been a while since I've used this style in Win32Lib, but I'm pretty sure the above is correct.)

-Greg

See my response to CChris. All controls on the tabs are created with a parent=tabindex explicitly stated on the newUIObj command.

Mike

8. Re: Win32Lib

Mike777 said...
CChris said...
Mike777 said...

CChris

All controls have their parent set in the newUIObj command. Tab indexes have parents of tab controls (they are the only controls to have tab controls as their parent). All controls on a specific tab index have the tab index as their parent.

Mike

Is there a workaround, like 1) getting all the children of the master tab control; 2) executing a set focus on a sequence which consists of the names of all the children?

Mike

9. Re: Win32Lib

Mike777 said...
Mike777 said...
CChris said...
Mike777 said...

CChris

Mike

Is there a workaround, like 1) getting all the children of the master tab control; 2) executing a set focus on a sequence which consists of the names of all the children?

Mike

CChris, any thoughts on this?

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu