1. New Forum Deployed

Mario has been hard at work again on the Forum software. We think the bugs are fixed with the read messages showing up as unread at some future date/time. User name disappearing in the "Welcome, " as well as in posts made by those w/username missing.

Also, focus is now set on the Subject of the message post and Username of the login form.

Thank you Mario for doing this work.

Jeremy

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: New Forum Deployed

The [Older] [Newer] arrows don't seem right. They aren't links.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: New Forum Deployed

I'm getting a Newer link, but it doesn't seem to work.

One thing that has been bugging me is that we've got inconsistent naming. When viewing a message, we get a "Message List" link, which takes us to a page claiming to be "Thread List", which is a good name for that view.

Then, from the "Thread List" we have a link to "Subject List." These seem more like synonyms than something different to me. It seems that our current "Subject List" should probably be named "Message List."

My proposal, then, is this:

• In a message, change the text of the current "Message List" link to "Thread List"
  • Change all references to "Subject List" to "Message List"
  • Add a link from within a message to the newly named "Message List".

I prefer to browse the non-threaded top-level view, and it's somewhat annoying to have to go to the threaded view before being able to get back to the individual message list.

Matt

4. Re: New Forum Deployed

mattlewis said...

I had to revert to pre-switch optimization... Something in forum an Eu, even 968, wasn't playing nice. Everything compiled fine and ran fine for many, but it seems when a certain condition is met in the creole parser that it triggers a bug and hangs the process getlost The original message in this thread posted by me would trigger that bug and it would hang.

mattlewis said...

One thing that has been bugging me is that we've got inconsistent naming.

Yes... Sorry. We have had a few proposals, I need to go back and read them and execute one of them.

mattlewis said...

I prefer to browse the non-threaded top-level view, and it's somewhat annoying to have to go to the threaded view before being able to get back to the individual message list.

Now that user accounts are functional, Mario is working on preferences right now. One of those will be the view you desire.

Jeremy

5. Re: New Forum Deployed

jeremy said...
mattlewis said...

I had to revert to pre-switch optimization... Something in forum an Eu, even 968, wasn't playing nice. Everything compiled fine and ran fine for many, but it seems when a certain condition is met in the creole parser that it triggers a bug and hangs the process getlost The original message in this thread posted by me would trigger that bug and it would hang.

mattlewis said...

One thing that has been bugging me is that we've got inconsistent naming.

Yes... Sorry. We have had a few proposals, I need to go back and read them and execute one of them.

mattlewis said...

Now that user accounts are functional, Mario is working on preferences right now. One of those will be the view you desire.

Jeremy

Yes, I am working on Preferences, where you will be able to display your name, or your login, if you want, Choose the Subject View, Thread View for listing messages, and Tree View or Flat view for viewing the Messages, and they will stick with your account. Also, you'll be able to set your location, time zone, etc, etc. Things will be getting better. As always, more will come when I get things together.

L8ers,

Mario Steele

6. Re: New Forum Deployed

jeremy said...

If you can convert that into a test case that fails, that would be great. I just fixed some minor issues (which should have caused it not to compile, so I don't think I've fixed whatever this issue might be) and added some additional tests.

Matt

7. Re: New Forum Deployed

mattlewis said...

If you can convert that into a test case that fails, that would be great. I just fixed some minor issues (which should have caused it not to compile, so I don't think I've fixed whatever this issue might be) and added some additional tests.

I have not been able to identify yet what is causing it but I'll work toward that end.

Jeremy

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu