1. Some questions about the languages

Greetings.

You have done great job of making realy briliant, simple and effective programing language. I like it very much. But I have some questions. Please do a favor and answer them.

1. I have not noticed a switch/caseof instruction. May be it will be helpfull to offer it in future releases? 2. The most wanted thing - embeded euphoria mod for apache. You know, many of us will be happy to write euphoria-powered web-aplication. Just like that: <?eu ... ?>

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Some questions about the languages

Hi

http://openeuphoria.org/docs/eu400_0015.html#[83]switchstatement

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Some questions about the languages

Paskz said...

2. The most wanted thing - embeded euphoria mod for apache. You know, many of us will be happy to write euphoria-powered web-aplication. Just like that: <?eu ... ?>

I also wondered about the advantage of having a Euphoria mod, but I wouldn't know the first thing on how to get that done. So...

I've got a few sites being served up via Euphoria+Apache:

If you want to help with or take a look at BBCMF, let me know! smile

4. Re: Some questions about the languages

Sorry, only one question remains - I found switch statement in online documentation (not in the downloaded one).

So is there a plan to write embeded euphoria for Apache?

5. Re: Some questions about the languages

Paskz said...

Greetings.

You have done great job of making realy briliant, simple and effective programing language. I like it very much. But I have some questions. Please do a favor and answer them.

1. I have not noticed a switch/caseof instruction. May be it will be helpfull to offer it in future releases? 2. The most wanted thing - embeded euphoria mod for apache. You know, many of us will be happy to write euphoria-powered web-aplication. Just like that: <?eu ... ?>

The new 4.0 (not yet released) has a switch statement now in addition to many, many useful features including a vastly expanded standard library. A mod_euphoria is a pretty hard task due to how Euphoria works internally. We do, however, have other web capabilities. I personally am working on a SCGI interface for Euphoria which will allow for stateful Euphoria applications that should run on many web servers such as Apache, LigHTTPD, IIS and other popular ones. This will allow for very fast web apps written in Euphoria, both interpreted and compiled. I think once you get your app debugged you will want to make use of the translator which will take Euphoria code and convert it to C. With a mod_euphoria or something similar, you would not be able to take advantage of this great feature of Euphoria.

Jeremy

6. Re: Some questions about the languages

Thank you very much!

Switch statement in the new release sounds perfect. I have noticed a lot of new language constructs.

I am not good programmer - as I am mostly journalist and part-time a web administrator. I work with Wordpress, written in PHP (the ugliest thing I ever saw). CGI aproach to the task is very fast and effective. But when you have abilty to write the code right in the pages it gives you opportunity to change things on the fly. May be I should try the other aproach. Thank everyone!

I will try to work with BBCMF, I have noticed this system earlier. It is great honor for me. I see, your BBCMF project is alive and grows well. It's pity that I am not a programmer, just a admin, that Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V the scripts and from time to time write my owns - ugly scripts in ugly PHP.

Thank you!

7. Re: Some questions about the languages

ChrisB said...

I don't understand the label part or how to use it. Nothing in the docs explains it. The example doesn't use it.

switch <expr> [label "<label name>"] do

8. Re: Some questions about the languages

Paskz said...

I see, your BBCMF project is alive and grows well.

It's certainly alive. Its growth, however, is only as fast as can be done by a single dad raising two teenagers can fit time into his schedule. For instance, I've barely touched it the past few weeks or so, mainly because I had done so much work prior to that and got it to what I thought was a pretty stable condition. It's working with Euphoria v4.0 pre-pre-alpha, which is a good place to be. Version 4.0 is going to be a kick-butt release! But it's still changing daily and only today have I been able to update it to present working condition. grin

I'm currently having real life issues I must deal with, so BBCMF might still languish a bit, but it will certainly continue to grow, even if only at a snail's pace. I welcome anybody's input and help. smile

9. Re: Some questions about the languages

Bernie said...
ChrisB said...

I don't understand the label part or how to use it. Nothing in the docs explains it. The example doesn't use it.

switch foo label "SW1" do 
   case "A" : 
       switch bar do: 
          case 1: 
              dosomething 
              -- The 'break' here let's me get out of the enclosing switch. 
              if x then break "SW1" end if 
              break 
          case 2: 
              . . . 
       end switch 
   case "B": 
         . . . 
end switch 

10. Re: Some questions about the languages

Derek Parnell said...

switch foo label "SW1" do 
   case "A" : 
       switch bar do: 
          case 1: 
              dosomething 
              -- The 'break' here let's me get out of the enclosing switch. 
              if x then break "SW1" end if 
              break 
          case 2: 
              . . . 
       end switch 
   case "B": 
         . . . 
end switch 

[/quote]

Thanks derek

11. Re: Some questions about the languages

Bernie said...
ChrisB said...

switch <expr> [label "<label name>"] do

See the section about "labelled headers". if, switch, while, for and loop all may have a label into the header, which some control flow instructions can use.

Like in

while 1 label "top_ loop" do 
  -- something 
  for idx = 1 to whatever do 
    if something_happened() then 
      exit "top loop" -- this gets out of the while loop with that label 
                      -- you could also say exit 2 or exit 0, but they are less easy to maintain. 
                      -- you cannot use anything variable here 
    end if 
  end for 
end while 

CChris

12. Re: Some questions about the languages

euphoric said...
Paskz said...

2. The most wanted thing - embeded euphoria mod for apache. You know, many of us will be happy to write euphoria-powered web-aplication. Just like that: <?eu ... ?>

I also wondered about the advantage of having a Euphoria mod, but I wouldn't know the first thing on how to get that done. So...

I've got a few sites being served up via Euphoria+Apache:

If you want to help with or take a look at BBCMF, let me know! smile

Chris Bensler had a system that did this quite nicely. But, the feature/side-effect that allowed it has since been removed. It works under Euphoria 2.3 and older. I'm am pretty sure that 2.4 removed the required effect.

Lucius L. Hilley III - Unkmar

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu