1. Quotes in replies

Hi

Quotes in replies are ok in single message views, but in thread view are a rather bulky.

How about suppressing quotes when viewing the thread?

Chris

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Quotes in replies

ChrisB. said...

Quotes in replies are ok in single message views, but in thread view are a rather bulky.

How about suppressing quotes when viewing the thread?

Hm, good point! I can do that.

Jeremy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Quotes in replies

It seems to me that the threaded view should eliminate quotes when those quotes are complete quotes of the parent and the quoted material is either above or below the new material. However, if the quoted material is selective, then eliminating it will eliminate the context necessary to understand the response.

I suppose we can get used to either way, but my preference would be to ask people to quote only what is necessary so that quotes are retained and posters are trained.

FWIW

4. Re: Quotes in replies

Mike777 said...

It seems to me that the threaded view should eliminate quotes when those quotes are complete quotes of the parent and the quoted material is either above or below the new material. However, if the quoted material is selective, then eliminating it will eliminate the context necessary to understand the response.

I suppose we can get used to either way, but my preference would be to ask people to quote only what is necessary so that quotes are retained and posters are trained.

FWIW

Agreed. On a mailing list without threads, as EuForum has been for long, snipping parts of quoted msg would remove the contents from 95% users who wouldn't bother to search for the full thing. Yimes have changed, and we can afford to be selective in quoting because there is a threaded view.

When there is a builtin facility to make selective quoting easier - currently you have to copy and paste quote markers, and laziness may strike any time - there wil be hardly any excuse for not snipping. We should mention snipping as well.

CChris

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu