1. Threading vs Quoting

The message Bernie posted was about Threading vs. Quoting.

Bernie said...

Why is it necessary to have quoted replies now that the Forum supports threading. On the old Forum it was necessary because there was no way of following a discussion. Quotes just clutter up the screen and make it confusing to read.

This is a good question and I am not sure. I've been quoting people because some will not be reading in the threading view but in the Prev/Next single message view. I think we need some discussion on this and figure out what's the best way to handle it. I think the threading makes some messages easier to read but others more difficult. It's hard to find messages that are new because they do not appear in date order. I did, however, just implement the tracking of which messages you have read or not, as you may have noted on the List page. I am not yet displaying that information in the threading/message view but possibly that will make things easier.

Just thinking aloud... Thoughts?

Jeremy

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Threading vs Quoting

Jeremy Cowgar said...

The message Bernie posted was about Threading vs. Quoting.

Bernie said...

Why is it necessary to have quoted replies now that the Forum supports threading. On the old Forum it was necessary because there was no way of following a discussion. Quotes just clutter up the screen and make it confusing to read.

This is a good question and I am not sure. I've been quoting people because some will not be reading in the threading view but in the Prev/Next single message view. I think we need some discussion on this and figure out what's the best way to handle it. I think the threading makes some messages easier to read but others more difficult. It's hard to find messages that are new because they do not appear in date order. I did, however, just implement the tracking of which messages you have read or not, as you may have noted on the List page. I am not yet displaying that information in the threading/message view but possibly that will make things easier.

Just thinking aloud... Thoughts?

Jeremy

Well, I think the way you responded to Bernie illustrates one value of quoted messages: the replier can edit the quoted portion to hone in on the part of the post they want to reply to.

And if reading by threads doesn't show those messages as read in the main list, then it's difficult to know which messages are new and unread, so it becomes necessary or useful to read directly from the main list, in which case quoted helps. So, if reading a thread does now cause posts on the main list to have an "already read" display attribute, quoted *might* be less necessary, except as regards editing the quote to reply to parts of a post in contiguous order.

Dan

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Threading vs Quoting

Hi

Actually I feel this is more of an etiquette issue - just reply with the bits that you don't want quoted snipped out, and leave thios bits in that you do in.

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu