1. what Euphoria needs

I've been away from Euphoria for a while and I have been programming in Javascript instead. With Javascript it is possible to make programs that will run in any internet browser. But on the negative side, I seem to be unable to figure out from the w3schools tutorial how to make a good menu bar with Javascript. Also it is difficult in Javascript to store large amounts of user editable information. This can be done using a thing in html5 called local storage but I never got it to work right. These 2 things are necessary to make a program of the quality I want.

I think the Euphoria language itself is good and doesn't need a lot of improvement. But the problem with Euphoria is with the libraries such as wxEuphoria and EuGTK. In order to make anything in Euphoria that looks half professional, it is necessary to use a library.

I've been away from Euphoria for a while and so there is some chance that what I'm about to say is out of date.

wxEuphoria:
Really wonderful. Has everything in it. Good easy to understand documentation. A pleasure to use. But every time I made anything with wxEuphoria, it required the user to install wxEuphoria. I'm using Linux; maybe this is not a problem in Windows. This was always a problem and half of the time I had difficulty installing or re-installing it myself. It seems sometimes there were conflicts with pevious versions. What is needed with wxEuphoria is to automate the installation (and updating) as for example a deb file. wxEuphoria should show up in the Debian/Ubuntu repository and one click should do it. In 2014/2015 there should be no such thing as you have to manually install things.

EuGTK:
This has the advantage over wxEuphoria of not needing installation. The main problem I had with EuGTK was every time it got updated, it tended to break code. The last time that happened to me, I couldn't handle it. Probably part of the problem was my code was so disorganized that I had difficulty understanding my own code. And I figured even if somehow I do this, EuGTK will get updated again and then I would have the same problem again.

So at that point, I packed it in.

But if wxEuphoria appeared in the Ubuntu repository as a deb file, I might come back.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: what Euphoria needs

Well, actually to make anything that looks like it belongs on a computer, you're going to have to use a library.

Windows already has one built in, but it's so hard to use that only Judith was ever able to make it work reasonably well with Euphoria.

Linux usually comes with GTK3 now, or it can be easily gotten, unless you're using an old or minimal distro. Lots of people are doing just that, but if we cater to them, we're not going to have anything to attract people to Euphoria (looks like the 1990's)

I have never successfully gotten wx-anything to work on any of my computers, that's why I decided to go with GTK.

Sorry about losing you because of changes. If you mean the change from Gtk2 to Gtk3, that's because I didn't see any point in working on something that's being discontinued.

If you mean changes due to bug fixes - well, I guess I could never fix 'em. Don't see how that could make anyone happy, however.

edit

After thinking about this, I suppose the reason we don't have a cross-platform GUI for Eu is because most of the programmers are busy writing apps for phones and tablets. Only us old-timers have any interest in boat-anchors. That would explain the lack of activity here.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: what Euphoria needs

I'm proud to be an old-timer.

wxEuphoria as a standard library would let people use the same code on Windows, Linux, Mac OSX and maybe FreeBSD. wxWindows/wxWidgets uses Windows libraries when on Windows and GTK/Gnome when on Linux, so there is no incompatilibity with GTK.

Regards

Jean-Marc

4. Re: what Euphoria needs

As someone who pushed for included the wxWidgets library as part of Euphoria for a long time, I agree wxEuphoria should be part of the "official" package. Of course, a "console" version should still be available. But I don't know of any other modern, cross-platform library that's available with the same quality as wxWidgets. (There's even a port of Qt for wxWidgets, but it's classified as "experimental").

I used static linking to the wxWidgets library for wxBasic, which made the installation much simpler for the end user.

Speaking of JavaScript, has anyone considered using Emscripten to port Euphoria to JavaScript? Combining it with an on-line editor along the lines of TypeScript would be interesting, although I don't know how you'd handle non-standard include files...

5. Re: what Euphoria needs

Would using json connection address the problem?

[http://rapideuphoria.com/cgi-bin/asearch.exu?dos=on&win=on&lnx=on&gen=on&keywords=json]

6. Re: what Euphoria needs

Jerry_Story said...

I've been away from Euphoria for a while and I have been programming in Javascript instead. With Javascript it is possible to make programs that will run in any internet browser. But on the negative side, I seem to be unable to figure out from the w3schools tutorial how to make a good menu bar with Javascript.

Better, in my view, to use a ready-made framework to give you that kind of functionality. I use DHTMLX. http://docs.dhtmlx.com/toolbar__index.html

7. Re: what Euphoria needs

Here is one more old-timer being proud of using or having used Euphoria.
And using both boat-anchors as well as laptops, tablets and smartphones.
I never got to programming for the latter two categories, though it should not be that different at all
The main cause of not doing so is mere lack of time.
But I never felt and probably never will feel the urge to do any Windoze related stuff ever in my life.
You can do like the song says:
Anything Gates can do, Jobs can do better or Anything they can do Linus HAS done better.

8. Re: what Euphoria needs

Ekhnat0n said...

But I never felt and probably never will feel the urge to do any Windoze related stuff ever in my life.

"A merchant then talked to the prince about his product, a pill that eliminated thirst, which was very popular, saving people fifty-three minutes a week. The prince replied that he would instead gladly use that extra time to go around finding fresh water."

The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Prince

There's one good thing about Euphoria (among many others): people here are not hysterical, they take their time... (I mean it).

9. Re: what Euphoria needs

Hi Shian_Lee

Funny seeing you quoting from a book I like and the author has the same first name as me.
I do like more of his work like eg. Vol de Nuit because I do read it in its original language ;)

Antoine aka Ekhnat0n

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu