what Euphoria needs

new topic     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

I've been away from Euphoria for a while and I have been programming in Javascript instead. With Javascript it is possible to make programs that will run in any internet browser. But on the negative side, I seem to be unable to figure out from the w3schools tutorial how to make a good menu bar with Javascript. Also it is difficult in Javascript to store large amounts of user editable information. This can be done using a thing in html5 called local storage but I never got it to work right. These 2 things are necessary to make a program of the quality I want.

I think the Euphoria language itself is good and doesn't need a lot of improvement. But the problem with Euphoria is with the libraries such as wxEuphoria and EuGTK. In order to make anything in Euphoria that looks half professional, it is necessary to use a library.

I've been away from Euphoria for a while and so there is some chance that what I'm about to say is out of date.

wxEuphoria:
Really wonderful. Has everything in it. Good easy to understand documentation. A pleasure to use. But every time I made anything with wxEuphoria, it required the user to install wxEuphoria. I'm using Linux; maybe this is not a problem in Windows. This was always a problem and half of the time I had difficulty installing or re-installing it myself. It seems sometimes there were conflicts with pevious versions. What is needed with wxEuphoria is to automate the installation (and updating) as for example a deb file. wxEuphoria should show up in the Debian/Ubuntu repository and one click should do it. In 2014/2015 there should be no such thing as you have to manually install things.

EuGTK:
This has the advantage over wxEuphoria of not needing installation. The main problem I had with EuGTK was every time it got updated, it tended to break code. The last time that happened to me, I couldn't handle it. Probably part of the problem was my code was so disorganized that I had difficulty understanding my own code. And I figured even if somehow I do this, EuGTK will get updated again and then I would have the same problem again.

So at that point, I packed it in.

But if wxEuphoria appeared in the Ubuntu repository as a deb file, I might come back.

new topic     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu