Euphoria Ticket #914: PCRE discontinued? Version 10.00 is the first release of PCRE2

pcre v8.10 is compiled into openeuphoria.

Version 10.00 is the first release of PCRE2, a revised API for the PCRE library. Programs that use the original (PCRE1) API will need changing before linking with the new library. not sure where the older pcre changelog is now. or if there were any bug fixes to v8.35 we should know about. last update for openeuphoria was in 2010? 8.10?


Type: Bug Report Severity: Blocking Category: Library Routine
Assigned To: SDPringle Status: Accepted Reported Release: 4.1
Fixed in SVN #: View VCS: none Milestone: 4.2.0

1. Comment by jimcbrown Nov 10, 2015

I think we should just upgrade to PCRE2, period.

2. Comment by SDPringle Nov 10, 2015

You have failed to really give an argument as to why it is beneficial to convert from one API to another. This really ought to be discussed on the list.

3. Comment by jimcbrown Nov 10, 2015

Since jaygade requested it, most dev discussions seem to take place on the regular forum instead of the list. Fine with me - I'm not a fan of sourceforge in any case.

Is PCRE still being supported with new bugfixes/security updates etc?

If not, I think that's reason enough - if we had someone willing to maintain a regex engine we would have gone with EuRegex or something instead of PCRE in the first place.

4. Comment by ChrisB Nov 30, 2022

Looks like the gen (silent) consensus is that PCRE 1 is fine, and PCRE 2 may be incorporated in EU 5. Although I sort of disagree that programs using PCRE now will need to be re written, as surely any new library will use a shim in between the users program, and the new PCRE 2

5. Comment by jimcbrown Jan 25, 2023

Hi ChrisB, I actually disagree with that. Only one person said to go with PCRE2 in Eu 5,

Meanwhile the comments I left on this ticket way back when are still valid - PCRE1 is no longer supported, so we should migrate as soon as we can.

ghaberek and I agree here, but here's some more context.

PCRE1 was only included in the source because that's the only way to have it for DOS. We'd have gone with an external library if we had dropped DOS first (in which case switching to PCRE2 would have been much easier).

Making this change is a big job hence why the ticket was not worked on in so long - but I also don't see a good reason to delay until Eu 5. 4.2.0 seems like a good milestone for (in line with "as soon as we can"), though I'm okay with changing our minds if we're otherwise really close to a 4.2.0 release and this ticket is the only thing holding it up.

(But then I'd ask why not do it in 4.3.0 etc)

Accordingly, I've reopened the ticket and updated the milestone.


Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu