Re: Project Leviathan - wxEuphoria 3.1.0 alpha1

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
petelomax said...

OTOH, were malloc (ie clib, glibc or whatever) statically linked, I simply cannot imagine how they have side-stepped the flaws I've put in pHeap.e, but I rather suspect they have, otherwise the internet would be chock-full of disgruntled programmers moaning about it. Oh wait - there are actually quite a few, eg http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35072500 (first comment on the question, and third paragraph of the first answer) and strangely I have completely failed to prove my point on Windows, yet half-proved it on Linux. Anyway, definitely the sort of thing I meant by a "wrong" free() and a "right" free().

Thanks for the explanation. After reading everything and musing over the code for Euphoria and Phix again, I think understand now.

petelomax said...

Quite independently of and quite some time before all this, I have unilaterally decreed that any Phix-built dlls should be callable from C etc, not just Phix.

I find that commendable. I appreciate that about Go but not much else (I still can't compel myself to use Go).

petelomax said...

I know there are overheads, and it is a Phix (and Eu<=4.0) problem, but that would help.

I'm not that far in. I can at least give it a go to see how feasible it would be. I was also thinking that the initialization function for the library could accept the callback addresses for the internal memory functions and then performs all of its memory activities that way. What are your thoughts on this?

petelomax said...

PS: Apart from the obvious three years of effort you do not want to throw away (I get that, I really do), I'd be interested to hear of any other reasons why you are pushing ahead with this mammoth task instead of cutting your losses and going with the pretty much done and dusted IUP.

IUP has its uses but I find it lacking in too many ways. It put a lot of work into trying to use IUP with Euphoria and just kept on feeling like I was coming up short. I think the library really hits a brick wall when fails to have a proper ListView implementation. In the end, I just really like Euphoria and I really like wxWidgets and I really want them to get along. Consider it a passion project.

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu