Re: Project Leviathan - wxEuphoria 3.1.0 alpha1

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
petelomax said...

No (as per that thread I mentioned I expect there will be times when wxdll:free() must be invoked instead of free(), and that sort of thing)

[EDIT] Actually, with the new or old, if you have sequence s = wxdll:somefunc(), then some time later the refcount of s drops to zero, I predict it will invoke the wrong free().

I've read through that thread a few times now, and I've poured over the source code for Phix, especially pHeap.e and pcfunc.e.

But what I'm still trying to understand is how there is a "wrong" free() and a "right" free(). Don't the process and its loaded libraries share a common heap?

So if I call HeapAlloc() in the library and then later call HeapFree() in the interpreter, that would still be the "right" free(), correct?

Side note: For those who aren't aware, on Windows the functions HeapAlloc(), et al. are aliased as malloc(), etc. using macros:

#ifdef WXEUMSW 
#define malloc(n) HeapAlloc((void *)default_heap, 0, n) 
#define free(p) HeapFree((void *)default_heap, 0, p) 
#define realloc(p, n) HeapReAlloc((void *)default_heap, 0, p, n) 
#endif 

petelomax said...
ghaberek said...

Did it (the original wxEuphoria) work with Phix?

No

From what I see, there's no support in Phix for Euphoria-built shared libraries, which is what wxEuphoria is pretending to be. Please correct me if I'm wrong there.

petelomax said...
ghaberek said...

Can we make this work?

Not if the abstraction bleeds internal (4.1-specific) implementation details. (see that thread for why I am saying that)

It seems to me that there are a few options to make wxEuphoria work with Phix:

• Get Phix to "speak Euphoria" to a shared library. Given that its internal representation of objects is altogether different, I doubt that's likely to occur.
  • Get wxEuphoria to "speak plain C" with just const char*, int, double, etc. This requires more effort in the Euphoria binding code.

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu