Re: RedyCode 1.0.dev preview

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
ChrisB said...

Hi

I don't disagree with anything you've said there, Ryan has done a fantastic job, and it's a great addition to my eu tool set, and I admit there are many great, and easy , for you and me, to set up and get going.

However, what I was looking forward too was a one click install / setup / ready to go programming environment. What's the install path to setting up a new running euphoria with Redy ready to click and go? Compare that with Blitz or Lazarus to name but two, and it really is install, run the ide, create a program, and click the run button (pretty much anyway). Of course there are other more mainstream languages that are also a pain to set up - bet they would be easier if they were less mainstream.

It sounds like I'm blaming Ryan, I'm really not, but I just feel that this is waht euphoria needs to 'hook' some new people to the language.

Cheers

Chris

I didn't intend to short change your one click install point. again, this is an early preview. the next version of redylib and the current RedyCode source hasn't been released yet. I haven't heard anything that the same self contained packaging won't also be available. a webpage could be setup with checkboxes to select what options someone wanted to download or the default, everything included. it's not that complicated.

do we really have any idea what the demand is? all the hot development might be getting something listed in an app store for 99c and who cares about desktop anyway. hanging on to existing users may give more bang to the buck. a few will expect a Visual Studio 1000k man hour polished IDE. you won't be able to talk them out of it and they will feel cheated anything created doesn't run on their tablet or phone wireless. they aren't going to help make it happen any time soon either.

you notice the last few months, there were questions about using different already installed versions of euphoria and redylib and other language file editing. potentially leaving the impression with someone new to Euphoria that it's going to be more complicated than it is. there is almost no way to satisfy both users with one install. or is there? with a few edits to a config file, it's completely self contained again.

there is no way to predict how a new user is going to react, some will go the extra mile and get past the install and have no problems no matter how complicated. some will just never even try the one click or fail on their first demo for whatever reason and give up, not ask for help or give anyone a chance to fix bugs. we are lucky if 1 in 20 new users leave comments about why they leave or stay. sometimes it's like an echo chamber in any forum. appearing to catering to someone with little to no programming experience might unintentionally turn away more experienced programmers. after all, it's a programming language and tools probably never going to be a programming environment sandbox where you can learn by trial and error.

I haven't tried this in a few months, https://logicbox.jahooma.com/ there are things that are just much simpler in other languages. bugs and errors aside, Euphoria has a ways to go before you can point and click a user interface and logic as fast as someone can dream something up.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu