Re: UI/IDE committee

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
ghaberek said...

What's disappointing to me is the reality that we just don't have enough manpower to really see these things through.

Ron laid out several roles in that post you linked to, and asked for people to "please get involved" but no one has stepped forward to contribute.

I'm preaching to the choir on this, but without more volunteers I don't think we can get much done in a timely manner.

-Greg

Agreed. It sounds like the committee was indeed successful in solving most of the technical problems, identifying the steps needed to finish it, and pointing out the roadmap and identifying new tasks and new roles to accomplish this.

It sounds like, given enough time or enough manpower (or both), that this will eventually reach the finishing point, but unfortunately we need a lot of the former given that that's no forseeable increase in the latter.

The committee therefore has not actually failed, but it can not give us a realistic new deadline to actually reach the final goal.

xecronix said...

There has been recent discussions about project direction and organization, lofty goals, volunteers, time commitments, and limited scope. These are all valid concerns but they are also very manageable.

Chris's idea in particular about limiting the scope of the project is a good one. But honestly, I disagree with the limitation decision being based solely on OS. Instead, I would like to see the limitations further expanded based on interpreted vs compiled user programs. In particular, I'd like to consider a interpreted solution before a compiled one simultaneously released for Windows 10 64 bit, some other Windows 32 bit, latest Ubuntu 32/64 bit and latest Fedora 64 bit. This is very achievable with IUP from where we are today.

Once the above is solved for process, conventions, automation (packaging and testing), tools, documentation, and tutorials, my opinion is that we should extend the interpreted only solution to the other supported platforms. Afterwards, we can repeat the process for compiled programs.

I can start by providing architecture for the solution at higher level. Then create a road map and milestones for the project. All of which would be supported by tangible tickets. If there are volunteers to work the tickets, I can provide organizational skills needed to see this thing to completion.

-xecronix

I took a quick look at the wiki https://bitbucket.org/ghaberek/iup4eu/wiki/Home and the tickets page https://bitbucket.org/ghaberek/iup4eu/issues but did not see this.

That said, I might have just missed it. And even if it's really not there, adding it probably won't help - the real issue is we need more volunteers.

Even without them though, the group will probably get this done. Eventually. It will just take a lot of time. That said, I don't feel that we should impose the decision of the committee on the community unless we can accomplish this task within a reasonable period of time.

This is why, if there are no new developments by the end of March 31st 2016 (in the last time zone, GMT-12), I would like to hold a vote on this subject to establish a proper mandate.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu