Re: Is there a good Windows or cross-platform Euphoria IDE?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
ghaberek said...

Some people will always want an IDE and some of those people will want the IDE to provide a drag-and-drop GUI designer. I think that is one of the single biggest features that would draw people to Euphoria. Writing code is easy and designing a GUI should be easy as well.

-Greg

I completely agree with this. I am certainly one who sees a lot of value in having a tool that will allow me to quickly and easily design a GUI. I'm sure that not everyone will agree with this, but I feel that having to hand code my GUI is a waste of time and effort when a tool could do it for me. It seems to me that this type of thinking is why there are high-level languages, such as Euphoria, as well as editors with code coloring and completion.

I realize that I've been away for a long time, and I don't really know how things are done here, or even who's in charge of running openEuphoria, but it's hard for me to believe (and this isn't a dig at anyone) that things haven't progressed in this area. In my opinion, Eu is an incredible language that should be right up there with the best of them, but I have to think that you're losing many many potential users because of the degree of difficulty in getting it to work. To me, it's like marketing a car with lots of power, great mpg, and a ton of built-in features, but telling the potential buyer that he or she has to go find the wheels, the gas tank and the engine in different places, then find a way to put them together. If new users didn't have to deal with this type of thing, I think Euphoria would spread like wildfire.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu