Re: Is there a good Windows or cross-platform Euphoria IDE?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
_tom said...

Ok, I vote for multiplatform euIUP. So if xecronix votes the same way the problem is "solved."

Find euIUP http://jeremy.cowgar.com/euiup/.

I have respect fo Jeremy Cowgar's intuition. The GUI is small (under 3MB) and fits well with Euphoria thinking.

I like IUP in and of itself, but I have a few issues with Jeremy's wrapper specifically:

• Jeremy has "Euphoria-ized" the code so porting code from native IUP C to Euphoria is not one-to-one.
  • IUP receives several updates every year but development on Jeremy's wrapper stalled out in 2010.
  • The learning curve for IUP is completely different compared to Win32Lib and wxEuphoria.
    Maybe if someone reworked the wrapper to use create() and various set/get functions, it would be easier to use.
_tom said...

IUP does not need a IDE because you can learn to put things into boxes that resize themselves.

Some people will always want an IDE and some of those people will want the IDE to provide a drag-and-drop GUI designer. I think that is one of the single biggest features that would draw people to Euphoria. Writing code is easy and designing a GUI should be easy as well.

_tom said...

It is enough to get users quickly writing programs. Once hooked, they can move to larger libraries.

IUP is designed much differently than other GUI toolkits. I have used IUP and wxWidgets in their native languages and I can attest that switching one's mindset between them is a bit of a struggle sometimes. Everything in IUP is a string and it just feels unnatural to me.

_tom said...

This will make documenting Euphoria much easier.

Not sure what you mean. Having one GUI toolkit makes documenting easier? Having a simpler toolkit makes documenting easier?

_tom said...

When Redy works on Linux we can promote it as a standard GUI.

I am still not sure if it's a good idea to use a non-native toolkit nowadays. In the Java world, Swing was all the rage through the late 90's and early 2000's but in the past decade it has been superseded mostly by JavaFX and SWT. Java has several "official" toolkits and they still have the same problem we have with choosing the "right" one for most developers.

Basically what I'm saying is, I'm not sure if we should ever choose an official toolkit and maybe just pick one we want to start with and work on it from there. As the saying goes, "if you build it he will come," so maybe if you start the project to build an IDE, other people will jump on board to help out.

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu