Re: Is there a good Windows or cross-platform Euphoria IDE?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
_tom said...

Ok, I vote for multiplatform euIUP. So if xecronix votes the same way the problem is "solved."

Find euIUP http://jeremy.cowgar.com/euiup/.

I have respect fo Jeremy Cowgar's intuition. The GUI is small (under 3MB) and fits well with Euphoria thinking.

Correct. If the community appointed/elected you, me and one other person as arbitrator on this topic and the 2 of us decided IUP was the way to go, then yes... problem solved and IUP would be bundled with OpenEuphoria. And, BTW, I agree that IUP deserves consideration in the matter.

The truth is, all of the toolkits mentioned so far in this thread deserves consideration. As do the notions that the right solution hasn't been written yet or that there is no solution.

So if arbitrators were appointed/elected their job would be:

• Come up with a list of problems that are solved by having a toolkit and/or IDE included with OpenEuphoria. This will require community input.
  • Compare the available options to see how they can help solve these problems.
  • Consider what new problems the solution causes.
  • Pick a solution
ghaberek said...

Basically what I'm saying is, I'm not sure if we should ever choose an official toolkit and maybe just pick one we want to start ...maybe if you start the project to build an IDE, other people will jump on board to help out.

There is a lot of merit to this approach. I'm not sure I agree with you on this matter but I'm still open to the idea. I like to think that Lazarus is a fine benchmark in which to compare OpenEuphoria. In my mind, most of the problems we would consider solved by an official toolkit/ide were solved by Lazarus. But Lazarus is *NOT* the official IDE of Freepascal. I would argue that Freepascal does not have an official IDE. Rather Freepascal is the official compiler for Lazarus. This I believe supports your opinion.

On the other hand, nearly all of OpenEuphoria counter-parts have toolkits wrapped up and included with the base distribution.

• Freepascal -GTK and Win32
  • Freebasic - GTK and Win32
  • Python - TK
  • Perl - TK
  • Ruby - TK
  • Java - Swing/AWT

That is not to say other toolkits don't exist for these languages. Of course they do. But this gives us an idea of what they ship with. I believe the inclusion of a toolkit helps lower the barrier to entry for newcomers and promotes early adoption of the language for them.

Python actually ships with an "IDE" too. Though I never use idle. Euphoria ships with ed. So the idea of shipping with an IDE is not foreign to Euphoria. Though it may be time for an upgrade.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu