Re: Is Euphoria ever going to be newbie-friendly?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
SDPringle said...

I agree with everything said here in this thread so far. In general a computing language takes great advantage of and is a victim of network effects. Popular languages get more APIs. Developers need APIs for the language they use to write software. If there are not sufficient APIs to fulfill the need, the language doesn't get used. It doesn't get popular.

I agree. The way i see Euphoria is: it has a very good syntax but very poor interfacing to real-world situations. The syntax itself is the main reason why i put up with all the shortcomings of the Euphoria "environment". I have always believed in the simple and elegant design of the language itself, but have always been disappointed with the lack of APIs, difficulty of building and deploying applications, and inability to keep up with modern features.

I would argue that the issues that make Euphoria difficult for beginners also make it difficult for experienced programmers, we just know more about how to work around these issues. I think a really good IDE with context-sensitive help and really solid libraries and tools would make Euphoria much easier for beginners and everyone else.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu