Re: Spreadsheets ; Can we do better?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
SDPringle said...

Spreadsheets, they invariably have column names A, B, C, that cannot be renamed and the first row people put the column names they really want but they cannot have because the column names are fixed as A, B, C. Not a big deal but still annoying. Another thing about spreadsheets is the way it interprets input: Put in "June 5th" and it will parse it as a string, you have to use the numeric only dates for input instead of what you feel like putting in. Suppose you want to put in a numeric expression like '10-4', well this will be interpreted as a date. When you really wanted 10 minus 4. Suppose you want to type in a range 9-10, well that will be interpreted as a date.

Spreadsheets are used as crude databases. We have database programs in Office suites but they are often overlooked because they are complicated to use. So, I hope I inspired you to write a killer application. By the way, I wont support you financially while you write this application. and I wont pay you a dime for your application after you have produced it. But I will give you lip service that you ought to do it.

Signed:

Open Euphoria User

FileMaker Pro is, AFAIK, the closest to what you are asking for. Even then, it takes a programmer to set it up correctly. After that, however, it's been my experience that clients can make minor changes to meet changing needs without crashing the whole thing.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu