Wee

new topic     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Just wanted to give a shout-out (and a back-flip) to Pete Eberlein's wonderful editor, Wee. I ran across Euphoria about 2 years ago and concluded it was the perfect language for me - fast as Hell, interpreted, and free of what garbage-languages like C require years to learn well - like memory-management! I recently started using Wee on a large, personal project and it is an absolute joy to work with! Do you know how many freaking YEARS I had to wait for this?! The best I was able to do before Wee was Geany, which, after the hassle of getting it configured for Euphoria, did work pretty good, but what a hassle! I won't be using it again (unless maybe they add Euphoria to its auto-configurable languages).

You know, judging from Euphoria's website and forum discussions, most developers of Euphoria would really like to see it succeed as a computer language, like Python (which I actually learned after getting so frustrated trying to use Euphoria.) Your website can't be faulted at "selling" the idea of Euphoria. I fell in love with the idea of Euphoria right-off. The trouble starts when a "beginner" downloads Euphoria to try it out! Words can't begin to express how important it is that everything about using a prospective language be as simple and trouble-free as possible for a rank-beginner to use! (By the way, I'm no "beginner," rank or otherwise.) I couldn't think of anything better than Euphoria that proves the adage that the best way to kill something is to assign its development to a "committee!" Far too much time is spent by bickering children arguing over possible merits/demerits of anything/everything to do with the language! Hell, you've argued for months just about things to do with your website! JUST DO IT! Change it later if experience warrants it. Euphoria has many points to recommend it, but its strongest right now is this editor!

As good as it is (maybe because it's as good as it is), there are a few "wants" I have about Wee: a) under Find/Replace, add option to act on only selected text; b) add drop-down to Find/Replace so can easily pick earlier search-strings; c) add regular-expression option to Find/Replace search string (would be nice at times, but I could live without) d) add auto-insertion of needed "include statements" (at very top of source if no "include" statements present; else immediately after 1st grouping of 1 or more of any "include" statements if existing) of any needed libraries - determined upon Saving - assume all "include"s come from "c:\euphoria\include" or "c:euphoria\include\std" folders (<~could be configurable). Only worry about Euphoria's standard library. For an editor this good, it sticks out like a sore-thumb that these "niceties" aren't present!

new topic     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu