1. Wee

Just wanted to give a shout-out (and a back-flip) to Pete Eberlein's wonderful editor, Wee. I ran across Euphoria about 2 years ago and concluded it was the perfect language for me - fast as Hell, interpreted, and free of what garbage-languages like C require years to learn well - like memory-management! I recently started using Wee on a large, personal project and it is an absolute joy to work with! Do you know how many freaking YEARS I had to wait for this?! The best I was able to do before Wee was Geany, which, after the hassle of getting it configured for Euphoria, did work pretty good, but what a hassle! I won't be using it again (unless maybe they add Euphoria to its auto-configurable languages).

You know, judging from Euphoria's website and forum discussions, most developers of Euphoria would really like to see it succeed as a computer language, like Python (which I actually learned after getting so frustrated trying to use Euphoria.) Your website can't be faulted at "selling" the idea of Euphoria. I fell in love with the idea of Euphoria right-off. The trouble starts when a "beginner" downloads Euphoria to try it out! Words can't begin to express how important it is that everything about using a prospective language be as simple and trouble-free as possible for a rank-beginner to use! (By the way, I'm no "beginner," rank or otherwise.) I couldn't think of anything better than Euphoria that proves the adage that the best way to kill something is to assign its development to a "committee!" Far too much time is spent by bickering children arguing over possible merits/demerits of anything/everything to do with the language! Hell, you've argued for months just about things to do with your website! JUST DO IT! Change it later if experience warrants it. Euphoria has many points to recommend it, but its strongest right now is this editor!

As good as it is (maybe because it's as good as it is), there are a few "wants" I have about Wee: a) under Find/Replace, add option to act on only selected text; b) add drop-down to Find/Replace so can easily pick earlier search-strings; c) add regular-expression option to Find/Replace search string (would be nice at times, but I could live without) d) add auto-insertion of needed "include statements" (at very top of source if no "include" statements present; else immediately after 1st grouping of 1 or more of any "include" statements if existing) of any needed libraries - determined upon Saving - assume all "include"s come from "c:\euphoria\include" or "c:euphoria\include\std" folders (<~could be configurable). Only worry about Euphoria's standard library. For an editor this good, it sticks out like a sore-thumb that these "niceties" aren't present!

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Wee

Hi

Good post.

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Wee

Pete, regarding finding, can you make it so pressing 'F3' automatically performs a find using the last find string? I know you can!

And we're going to need Ctrl+Shift+F to be "Find in files..." smile

Thank you! grin

4. Re: Wee

eddo said...

You know, judging from Euphoria's website and forum discussions, most developers of Euphoria would really like to see it succeed as a computer language, like Python (which I actually learned after getting so frustrated trying to use Euphoria.) Your website can't be faulted at "selling" the idea of Euphoria. I fell in love with the idea of Euphoria right-off. The trouble starts when a "beginner" downloads Euphoria to try it out!

Absolutely.

eddo said...

Words can't begin to express how important it is that everything about using a prospective language be as simple and trouble-free as possible for a rank-beginner to use!

You so nailed it. A big part of the problem, I believe, is the lack of learning resources (beyond the manual and the basic examples).

eddo said...

Hell, you've argued for months just about things to do with your website! JUST DO IT! Change it later if experience warrants it.

I wouldn't be too harsh on this. I believe the developers are already doing what they can. The truth is, there is a dire scarcity of human resources on this project.

eddo said...

Euphoria has many points to recommend it, but its strongest right now is this editor!

Interesting insight.

5. Re: Wee

eddo said...

Hell, you've argued for months just about things to do with your website! JUST DO IT! Change it later if experience warrants it.

I wouldn't be too harsh on this. I believe the developers are already doing what they can. The truth is, there is a dire scarcity of human resources on this project. [/quote]

OK - I'm being harsh not to people, but towards the situation, which just naturally evolved. Realize that the reason I'm harsh at all is because I really like the idea of Euphoria! I want it! I want to be able to download a fully-working version, be able to code with it immediately with a good editor, not having endless hassles getting an editor to work right, and not having to worry about areas of the language that are still "under development." Just make it work! Like Python works. Like Quick Basic works. Like anything else on the market works! Please not another tale about how nobody has the time to devote towards the development of Euphoria because of "having to earn a living at a job. No excuses! Just get it done! I WANT IT! I'm not alone in this, I think...

6. Re: Wee

eddo said...

... I want it! I want ... Just make it work! ... No excuses! Just get it done! I WANT IT! ...

Interesting attitude. Does it get you far in life? Just curious.

7. Re: Wee

DerekParnell said...
eddo said...

... I want it! I want ... Just make it work! ... No excuses! Just get it done! I WANT IT! ...

Interesting attitude. Does it get you far in life? Just curious.

"Can't you just... ?"

http://archive.oreilly.com/pub/post/cant_you_just_redux.html

-Greg

8. Re: Wee

http://openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/GettingStarted.wc

I noticed this "Step by Step to your first Euphoria program" topic, copied the sample source code, and got a syntax error. expected to see possibly ')' not end of file.

I fixed that page, but I have to wonder how long it has been that way.

9. Re: Wee

irv said...

http://openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/GettingStarted.wc

I noticed this "Step by Step to your first Euphoria program" topic, copied the sample source code, and got a syntax error. expected to see possibly ')' not end of file.

I fixed that page, but I have to wonder how long it has been that way.

Each wiki page has a ihstory page where you can view the history of changes and edits. E.g. http://openeuphoria.org/wiki/history/GettingStarted.wc

From that, the error seems to have been present since the begining, on October 2010.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu