Re: Pass by Reference

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
DerekParnell said...

By the way, I cannot see any argument based on "we should do it like XXX does it" has a lot of intrinsic merit. Needless to say, Euphoria's syntax should consistently be using the look & feel of Euphoria - I know that this is almost a nothing statement, but the Euphoria style is hard to define though easy to see.

The statement has value, but I usually start with the opposite question: why should I force other people to learn a new syntax? It's not that should never happen, but all things being equal, there should be a good reason for doing so.

I apologize for being "late to the party" on this, but consider the two options:

function foo() 
   return 1, 2, 3, 4 
end function 

a, b, c = foo() 

vs.

function foo() 
   return {1, 2, 3} 
end function 

{a, b, c, d} = foo() 

Obviously, the first can be verified as incorrect by the parser.

The second can only be determined to be wrong at runtime, and will result in a crash.

Unlike indexes, there's no way to check for this error - you can't see how many values a function is returning. So the use of this syntax is intrinsically unsafe, and there's no way that I see to make it safe.

Am I missing something here?

- David

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu