Re: Pass by Reference

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
dcuny said...

Why not

i,j,k = thing(i,j,k) 

The current syntax gives a significant visual clue to the person reading the code that the author is expecting to receive a set of values. The enclosing braces are superfluous in a strictly syntactical sense, but we must remember that source code is firstly designed for humans to comprehend rather than parsers. By using the brace device, it highlights to people the intention/expectation of the author. I acknowledge that using braces is almost arbitrary, as some other type of device could have been chosen, but it does feel Euphoria-like though.

By the way, I cannot see any argument based on "we should do it like XXX does it" has a lot of intrinsic merit. Needless to say, Euphoria's syntax should consistently be using the look & feel of Euphoria - I know that this is almost a nothing statement, but the Euphoria style is hard to define though easy to see.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu