Re: Let's be honest: Euphoria is dying

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
dosfreak622 said...

For me Euphoria continues to provides the easiest way to solve programming problems. I use it at work as well because the syntax is well-defined (no obscure variations with compiler), a development environment only requires 5 minutes to set up (install Euphoria and your favourite text editor) and deployment is easy (eubind an .exe) for either Windows or Linux. While I mostly use 4.0.5, an added bonus is that the 3.1.1 version is so stable you could seriously consider writing a life support system with it.

I believe that you can not say the same thing about most programming languages.

Is "Euphoria dying?"

dosfreak622 suggests one answer: Euphoria does the job when other languages fail.

TruthTeller said...

development process seems to have been steadily declining

We could start a flame war suggesting language xxxx is dead because it has not caught up to friendly Euphoria (something that has been true since 1993!)

Compared to C, Python, Perl, ... we are a few million dollars short in development money. Development progress is excellent considering.

dosfreak622 said...

I would like to get to a stable release of 4.1.0 for 64 bit native running on Linux.

Here is an addition to the documentation I just wrote:

Try out these steps. If something fails complain!

SCM

Euphoria source-code is hosted at http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/euphoria/ and is free for anyone to download.

• Install Mercurial and you can mirror the entire SCM site. This provides you with all historical changes to Euphoria.
  • At any time you can download just the current source archived as either a .zip or .bz2 file.

Required

• GCC C compiler.
  • Current Euphoria installation.
  • Administrative privilages for final installation.

Compiling

• Download the current source from the SCM and unarchive.
  • Navigate to /euphoria/source directory
  • Open terminal and at the $ prompt:
    • $ ./configure
    • $ make
  • Using administrator privilages:
    • $ make install

Euphoria will be installed to the /usr/local directory tree.
  • Test:
    • $ eui

Euphoria Interpreter v4.1.0 development 
   **-bit Linux, Using System Memory 
   Revision Date: unknown, Id: 0:unknown 

ERROR: Must specify the file to be interpreted on the command line 

Depending on your system **-bit will be either 32-bit or 64-bit. There is no revision date since this is an SCM installation.

dosfreak622 said...

Hypothetically speaking, if I was to assist in the 4.1.0 release, are the tickets up to date? I.e. if I do this search: http://openeuphoria.org/ticket/index.wc?per_page=20&page=1&type_id=-1&category_id=-1&milestone=4.1.0&severity_id=-1&status_id=2&user_id=-1&actiontype=Filter will looking at the unassigned entries give me something appropriate to work on?

Any kind of input is welcome.

There is no administration telling you what you can or cannot do. Pick a ticket item, anything you are comfortable with, and start a topic. This forum is equally a user forum and a development forum. This way you will not do any duplicated effort and may get some suggestions to help you.

_tom

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu