Re: [OT] spelling contest

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jimcbrown said...
mattlewis said...

In speech, it's usually not a problem. When reading it, however, I usually have to go back and reread the sentence, so for me at least, this sort of misspelling does not lead to effortless understanding.

You really need to go back and reread a sentence if someone uses "your" in the context and with the meaning of "you are" ? Typically I will read it and often fail realise that the word was misspelled (or the wrong word used), unless I'm reading it very slowly in an attempt to proof-read it.

Yes, often I do. As I scan the words, it can be somewhat jarring. Of course, in the context of a book or some other source where this is an affected style, I'm typically ready for it, which generally means I'm also reading slower in order to take in the meaning. Often it seems like the difference of hearing the words in my head vs simply reading them by sight, which is much quicker.

Matt

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu